Andhra Bank vs Indian Overseas Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
Andhra Bank offers three children’s savings accounts called AB Kiddy Bank, AB Little Stars and AB Teens while Indian Overseas Bank IOB offers the SB – Little Star account for young children.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Andhra Bank
AB Kiddy Bank
This is the standard savings account for children and is available for all minors below the age of 18 years.
- AB Kiddy Bank account can be opened by any minor up to the age of 18 years
- Kids above the age of 10 years (and below 18) can open and operate the account without the need for an adult guardian if they can produce proof of their date of birth
- Children receive a piggy bank doll on opening the account. This doll can be unlocked only at the branch where the account is held ensuring the money remains safe in the doll
- This AB Kiddy Bank account can be opened with a minimum deposit of Rs. 100
AB Little Stars
This account is meant for children in the 10-15 years age group.
- The account can only be operated by the parent or guardian
- The minimum balance requirement is Rs. 250 for rural and semi-urban branches and Rs. 500 for urban and metropolitan branches
- Andhra Bank issues a passbook with a photo and a special withdrawal booklet with the AB Little Stars account. The parent or guardian can withdraw money for the child on production of the savings banks passbook or any other ID proof
- No NEFT or RTGS withdrawals can be made from the account
This account is for teenagers in the 15-18 years age category. Most features are similar to the Little Stars account.
- The AB Teens account can only be operated by the child provided he or she can sign for the account
- The minimum balance requirement is same as Little Stars, i.e. Rs. 250 for rural and semi-urban branches and Rs. 500 for urban and metropolitan ones
- Account holders get the passbook (with photo) and the special withdrawal booklet as with the Little Stars account
- Again, no NEFT or RTGS withdrawals can be made from the account
- The account holder gets a Rupay ATM card with her photo and internet and mobile banking facilities
Children’s Savings Accounts from Indian Overseas Bank
SB – Little Star Account
The account has been designed for all children – from 1 day old babies to up to 18 year old young adults.
- The account can be opened by any child aged 1 day to less than 18 years
- The minimum balance needed in the account is Rs. 100, while the maximum amount that can be kept is Rs. 50,000
- IOB offers free collection facility for cheques or draft instruments gifted to the child and valued up to Rs. 25,000 per annum
- It also offers a Sweep-In, Sweep-Out facility where any amount in the account in excess of Rs. 10,000 is taken out of the account and turned into fixed deposits of Rs. 2,000 each. If the balance falls below Rs. 10,000 then the most recent fixed deposits are put back in the SB – Little Star Account so the balance is back to being at least Rs. 10,000
- Parents also have the option to invest in other options such as recurring deposits, insurance, mutual funds and so on
- Andhra Bank Website: www.andhrabank.in and www.onlineandhrabank.net.in (net banking works only from the main site’s internet login link)
- Headquarters: Hyderabad, Telangana
- Call Centre Toll-Free Number: 1800 425 1515
- Indian Overseas Bank Website: www.iob.in and www.iobnet.co.in (net banking)
- Headquarters: Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Call Centre Number: 1800 425 4445