Andhra Bank vs Kotak Mahindra Bank
Andhra Bank offers three children’s savings accounts called AB Kiddy Bank, AB Little Stars and AB Teens while Kotak Mahindra Bank offers a dedicated account called Junior – The Savings Account for Kids.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Andhra Bank
AB Kiddy Bank
This is the standard savings account for children and is available for all minors below the age of 18 years.
- AB Kiddy Bank account can be opened by any minor up to the age of 18 years
- Kids above the age of 10 years (and below 18) can open and operate the account without the need for an adult guardian if they can produce proof of their date of birth
- Children receive a piggy bank doll on opening the account. This doll can be unlocked only at the branch where the account is held ensuring the money remains safe in the doll
- This AB Kiddy Bank account can be opened with a minimum deposit of Rs. 100
AB Little Stars
This account is meant for children in the 10-15 years age group.
- The account can only be operated by the parent or guardian
- The minimum balance requirement is Rs. 250 for rural and semi-urban branches and Rs. 500 for urban and metropolitan branches
- Andhra Bank issues a passbook with a photo and a special withdrawal booklet with the AB Little Stars account. The parent or guardian can withdraw money for the child on production of the savings banks passbook or any other ID proof
- No NEFT or RTGS withdrawals can be made from the account
This account is for teenagers in the 15-18 years age category. Most features are similar to the Little Stars account.
- The AB Teensaccount can only be operated by the child provided he or she can sign for the account
- The minimum balance requirement is same as Little Stars, i.e. Rs. 250 for rural and semi-urban branches and Rs. 500 for urban and metropolitan ones
- Account holders get the passbook (with photo) and the special withdrawal booklet as with the Little Stars account
- Again, no NEFT or RTGS withdrawals can be made from the account
- The account holder gets a Rupay ATM card with her photo and internet and mobile banking facilities
Children’s Savings Accounts from Kotak Mahindra Bank Limited
Kotak Mahindra Bank offers a children-focussed account called Junior – The Savings Account for Kids. Here is a look at some features of the account.
Junior – The Savings Account for Kids
The account comes in two variants, the standalone account and a bundle pack that includes the Junior Savings Account and a Guardian Savings Account.
- The account offers one of the higher interest rates for children’s accounts at 5% (as of November 2018)
- Bundled plan accountholders get access to a Recurring Deposit (RD) or a Systematic Investment Plan (SIP). The RD starts from as little as Rs. 2,000 and tenures that start from 36 months, while in the case of SIP the guardian can choose the amount and tenure
- The standalone Junior Account comes in different variants such as Platina, Ace, Pro, Classic, Edge and Nova. The distinction between these is the minimum balance required in the account and the customer segment to which the account is offered. For instance, the Platina account is a continuation of a portfolio of plans that Kotak Mahindra Bank acquired from its purchase of ING Vysya, while the Classic account is targeted at semi-urban and rural areas, and so on
- There is no minimum balance requirement for bundled Nova accounts provided they have an RD or a SIP in place. Otherwise, an average monthly balance of Rs. 5,000 is needed for Junior accounts. For non-junior accounts, the average monthly balance required is Rs. 5,000 (Nova), Rs. 10,000 (Edge and Classic), Rs. 50,000 (Ace) and Rs. 1 lakh (Platina)
- The charges for non-maintenance of the average balance ranges from Rs. 150 to Rs. 600 per month depending on the balance and the type of account.
- The Junior Savings Account offers personalised debit cards with daily withdrawal limits of Rs. 5,000 for kids above 10 years of age
- The bank offers certain children-centric privileges such as Junior Foodie, Junior Day Out, Junior Shopper, Junior Learner and Junior Angel
- Andhra Bank Website: www.andhrabank.in and www.onlineandhrabank.net.in (net banking works only from the main site’s internet login link)
- Headquarters: Hyderabad, Telangana
- Call Centre Toll Free Number: 1800 425 1515
- Kotak Mahindra Bank Website: www.kotak.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1860-266-2666, 1860-266-0811 (for 811 Digital Bank Customers)