Axis Bank vs Suryoday Small Finance Bank
Axis Bank offers an account called the Future Stars Savings Account. Suryoday Small Finance Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s account but instead offers minors the option to open a standard savings account as a minor account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Axis Bank
The third largest private sector bank in India, Axis Bank, offers a specific children’s account called Future Stars Savings Account. It also offered an account targeted at the youth called the YOUth Account but the bank has stopped opening these accounts (existing accounts will continue to work).
Future Stars Savings Account
An account meant for children up to 18 years of age.
- The initial account opening deposit and minimum monthly balance requirement are both Rs. 2,500 in metros. There is no monthly balance requirement if there is a fixed deposit of Rs. 25,000 for six months or a recurring deposit of Rs. 2,000 for a year
- Can be opened by a child on her own if she has crossed the age of 10 years. Otherwise, it needs to be operated by the parent or guardian
- The child gets four cheque books every year in her own name if she is over 10 years of age. In case she is younger than 10 years, the cheque book is in the name of the parent or guardian
- Accountholders get a Visa Classic Debit Card for an issuance fee of Rs. 200 and annual fee of Rs. 100. The fee is for metro and urban areas only
- The card comes with a personalised image of the child if she is above 10 years
- The bank offers a daily withdrawal limit of Rs. 1,500 under the Future Stars Savings Account
- The first five transactions at an Axis Bank ATM and the first three or five (depending on whether metro or non-metro location) at non-Axis Bank ATMs are free
- The account comes with a personal accident cover of Rs. 2 lakh and liability from fraudulent transactions of up to Rs. 50,000
- The bank offers reward points on various transactions such as opening an Axis Direct (trading) account, keeping Rs. 25,000 as minimum monthly balance and so on
Children’s Savings Accounts from Suryoday Small Finance Bank
Suryoday Small Finance Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s account and offers minors the option to open a standard savings account as a minor account. All of the bank’s savings accounts can be opened by a minor under a parent or a guardian. We take a look at the two base variants of the bank’s savings account line-up.
The account is the most basic of the savings accounts offered by Suryoday.
- The average monthly balance requirement is Rs. 2,000, though anyone choosing to open an account has to start with an initial deposit of Rs. 3,000
- Accountholders can choose to keep a fixed deposit of Rs. 10,000 in lieu of the minimum balance
- The bank offers a higher rate of interest than most other banks for similar slabs of balance. Accounts with balance up to Rs. 1 lakh earn 6.25% per annum and those with balance between Rs. lakh and Rs. 10 lakh earn 7.25%. This is as of March 2019
- The Savings Ujjwal account comes with a RuPay Classic Secure Chip Debit Card
- The daily ATM and POS limits is restricted to Rs. 20,000
- Online money transfers such as RTGS, NEFT, IMPS are chargeable after 3 transactions
- The bank offers a personal accident insurance cover of Rs. 1 lakh with the account
This savings account is ranked one step up the Savings Ujjwal.
- The account has a minimum average monthly balance of Rs. 5,000 and needs Rs. 7,500 to open the account
- Accountholders can create and keep an FD of Rs. 25,000 if they want to forego the minimum balance requirements
- The Savings Aditya account also comes with a RuPay Classic Secure Chip Debit Card
- The limit on daily ATM and POS transaction is pegged at Rs. 40,000
- Accountholders get 10 free ATM transactions on the bank’s own ATMs and up to 5 on other bank ATMs
- The accountholder can access up to 10 free RTGS, NEFT or IMPS payment transfers
- Like with the Ujjwal account, the Aditya offers a higher rate of interest
Note: Suryoday in its savings account page/tabs for each account clearly mentions that all bank’s savings accounts from Ujjwal to Savings Supreme can be opened on behalf of a minor
- Axis Bank Website: www.axisbank.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 419 5959,1800419 6969
- Suryoday Small Finance Bank Website: www.suryodaybank.com
- Headquarters: Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 266 7711