Bank of Baroda vs Tamilnad Mercantile Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
Bank of Baroda (BoB) has the Baroda Champ Savings Account. The bank is also supposed to have a Gen-Next Junior account which seems to be offered only in the Gen-Next Pune branch of the bank. Tamilnad Mercantile Bank provides a dedicated savings account for children called the Little Super Star Savings Account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Bank of Baroda
Note: There is limited information on BoB accounts for minors and it seems it did not offer a dedicated children’s account before the Champ and Gen-Next accounts. Possibly, minors could open a standard savings account through a parent or guardian.
Baroda Champ Savings Account
This account is meant for children in the 10-18 years age category. The account was launched in the run-up to the FIFA Under-17 World Cup 2017 that was hosted in India.
- Minors can open the Baroda Champ Savings Account with a minimum deposit of Rs. 1,000
- The maximum balance in the account is capped at Rs. 1 lakh
- BoB allows up to 50 free withdrawals per year. Accountholders can withdraw another 50 times from the account but the bank charges Rs. 15 per transaction
- Children (or parents) can withdraw money from the account using withdrawal slips and cheques. The bank allows withdrawals as low as Rs. 25 in rural and semi-urban areas and Rs. 50 in urban locations
- The debit card for the account is issued in the name of the parent or guardian for kids in the 10-15 years age group. For children over 15 years, it will be in their own name
- The transaction limit is restricted to Rs. 3,000 per day through ATM banking, mobile banking, POS and e-commerce though the overall limit is kept at Rs. 5,000 per day. This means you can go to the branch and withdraw Rs. 2,000 even if you have used up Rs. 3,000 limit
- The bank offers a free passbook for accountholders and cheque book facility with up to 45 free leaves
- Free ATM transactions at other bank ATMs is capped at 3 for 6 Tier I metros (Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Bangalore and Hyderabad) and at 5 for other cities
From the bank’s website, it seems the account is only offered the Gen-Next branch in Pune, Maharashtra.
- Minors up to 18 years can open this Gen-Next Junior account
- The average quarterly balance required is Rs. 500 and the bank charges Rs. 50 per quarter if the balance falls below this limit
- Children below 10 years can open the account jointly with parents or guardians; those above 10 years can have an account in their own name provided they are literate
- There is a ceiling on of Rs. 1,00,000 as balance outstanding on any day if the minor holds the account in her own name. In case the account is held jointly by a minor of 14 years or above and the parent or guardian, then there is no such limit
- Debit cards will have the parent’s or guardian’s name if the child is below 15 years; if above, then the kid’s name will be on the card
- The rules for a standard savings account will apply for this account also
Bank of Baroda Savings Account
The standard savings account of the bank.
- The bank has a put an upper limit of Rs. 1,00,000 as the maximum limit outstanding on any day if a minor, aged 10-14 years, operates the account on her own
- The minimum balance requirement is Rs. 500 for rural and semi-urban areas and Rs. 1,000 for urban areas and metros
Note: We are not getting into details here about the savings account. If you wish to know more of the features, you can visit the specific page of the bank website here.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Tamilnad Mercantile Bank Limited
Tamilnad Mercantile Bank provides a dedicated savings account for children called the Little Super Star Savings Account.
Little Super Star Savings Account
Meant exclusively for kids in the 10-18 years age group, the account has been designed to habituate children to saving money.
- Accountholders can withdraw up to Rs. 5,000 per day through ATMs. Guardians are given the right to lower this amount up to Rs. 1,000 if she so deems fit. The POS limit is capped at Rs. 2,500
- Tamilnad Mercantile Bank offers up to 10 complimentary ATM withdrawals and charges Rs. 10 for each withdrawal thereafter
- The maximum amount that can be put in the account or taken out per month is limited to Rs. 1 lakh
- The account needs a minimum average balance of Rs. 250. The bank limits the number of facilities it provides if this minimum balance is not maintained
- The ATM-debit card is offered free with the account
- Accountholders get complimentary personalised chequebook of 10 leaves every year
- One of the unique features of this account is that the bank has allowed both internet banking and mobile banking though the limit has been capped at Rs. 2,500
- The minor has to change the Little Super Star Savings Account into any of the standard accounts offered by the bank after she attains majority
- Kids with the account are allowed to be a part of the bank’s Happy Family Banking Account scheme if their other family members also bank with Tamilnad Mercantile Bank
- Bank of Baroda Website: www.bankofbaroda.com and www.bobibanking.com (net banking)
- Headquarters: Baroda (Vadodara), Gujarat
- Call Centre Toll-Free Number: 1800 223 344, 1800 102 4455
- Tamilnad Mercantile Bank Website: www.tmb.in
- Headquarters: Tuticorin, Tamil Nadu
- Call Centre Number: 1800 425 0426