Bank of India vs Axis Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
Bank of India has a youth-oriented account called BOI Star Yuva Account while Axis Bank offers an account called the Future Stars Savings Account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Bank of India
Bank of India does not have a specific children’s savings account, though it does have an account for the youth called BOI Star Yuva Account. Minors can open a standard savings account.
BOI Star Yuva Account
The account was conceptualised to inculcate saving habits among the youth. The website does not specifically provide a minimum age for account opening but from reading of the features it seems to be young adults aged 18 years or above.
- The minimum quarterly balance requirement is Rs. 2,500 in rural and semi-urban areas and Rs. 5,000 in urban areas and metros
- BOI offers a complimentary insurance of Rs. 50,000 for account holders in the 18-21 years age category and of Rs. 5,00,000 (Rs. 5 lakh) for account holders above 21 years
- The bank also offers reward points for every time the account debit card is used for cash withdrawals in its ATMs. 20 reward points are given at BOI Star Yuva Account opening
Savings Bank Ordinary Account
The account is the standard savings account that can be opened for a minor, usually under joint names.
- Being a nationalised bank, BOI is able to offer its Savings Bank Ordinary Account with considerable low balance requirements. The initial deposit and average quarterly balance is Rs. 500 if the minor / guardian needs a chequebook and Rs. 100 if the account is operated without a chequebook
- The bank offers certain benefits to customers of the savings account. For instance, an online income tax filing facility, free payment of utility bills and a BOI-National Swasthya Bima Policy floater mediclaim policy in collaboration with National Insurance at a low premium. A point to note is that kids usually do not need these services
Children’s Savings Accounts from Axis Bank Limited
The third largest private sector bank in India, Axis Bank, offers a specific children’s account called Future Stars Savings Account. It also offered an account targeted at the youth called the YOUth Account but the bank has stopped opening these accounts (existing accounts will continue to work).
Future Stars Savings Account
An account meant for children up to 18 years of age.
- The initial account opening deposit and minimum monthly balance requirement are both Rs. 2,500 in metros. There is no monthly balance requirement if there is a fixed deposit of Rs. 25,000 for six months or a recurring deposit of Rs. 2,000 for a year
- Can be opened by a child on her own if she has crossed the age of 10 years. Otherwise, it needs to be operated by the parent or guardian
- The child gets four cheque books every year in her own name if she is over 10 years of age. In case she is younger than 10 years, the cheque book is in the name of the parent or guardian
- Accountholders get a Visa Classic Debit Card for an issuance fee of Rs. 200 and annual fee of Rs. 100. The fee is for metro and urban areas only
- The card comes with a personalised image of the child if she is above 10 years
- The bank offers a daily withdrawal limit of Rs. 1,500 under the Future Stars Savings Account
- The first five transactions at an Axis Bank ATM and the first three or five (depending on whether metro or non-metro location) at non-Axis Bank ATMs are free
- The account comes with a personal accident cover of Rs. 2 lakh and liability from fraudulent transactions of up to Rs. 50,000
- The bank offers reward points on various transactions such as opening an Axis Direct (trading) account, keeping Rs. 25,000 as minimum monthly balance and so on
- Bank of India Website: www.bankofindia.co.in
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Toll-Free Number: 1800 220 229, 1800 103 1906
- Axis Bank Website: www.axisbank.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 419 5959,1800419 6969