Bank of India vs Jana Small Finance Bank
Bank of India has a youth-oriented account called BOI Star Yuva Account while Jana Small Finance Bank does not offer a dedicated minor savings account even though the standard savings account can be opened by a minor jointly with a parent or guardian.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Bank of India
Bank of India does not have a specific children’s savings account, though it does have an account for the youth called BOI Star Yuva Account. Minors can open a standard savings account.
BOI Star Yuva Account
The account was conceptualised to inculcate saving habits among the youth. The website does not specifically provide a minimum age for account opening but from reading of the features it seems to be young adults aged 18 years or above.
- The minimum quarterly balance requirement is Rs. 2,500 in rural and semi-urban areas and Rs. 5,000 in urban areas and metros
- BOI offers a complimentary insurance of Rs. 50,000 for account holders in the 18-21 years age category and of Rs. 5,00,000 (Rs. 5 lakh) for account holders above 21 years
- The bank also offers reward points for every time the account debit card is used for cash withdrawals in its ATMs. 20 reward points are given at BOI Star Yuva Account opening
Savings Bank Ordinary Account
The account is the standard savings account that can be opened for a minor, usually under joint names.
- Being a nationalised bank, BOI is able to offer its Savings Bank Ordinary Account with considerable low balance requirements. The initial deposit and average quarterly balance is Rs. 500 if the minor / guardian needs a chequebook and Rs. 100 if the account is operated without a chequebook
- The bank offers certain benefits to customers of the savings account. For instance, an online income tax filing facility, free payment of utility bills and a BOI-National Swasthya Bima Policy floater mediclaim policy in collaboration with National Insurance at a low premium. A point to note is that kids usually do not need these services
Children’s Savings Accounts from Jana Small Finance Bank Limited
Jana Small Finance Bank does not offer a dedicated minor savings account and though it does not mention clearly on its website if the regular savings account is open for minors, reading of the Terms and Conditions of the service charges file shows that the account can be opened by or on behalf of minors.
Regular Savings Account
This is the standard savings account of the bank.
- The bank needs an average monthly balance of Rs. 2,500
- The Regular Savings Account comes with a RuPay Debit Card
- The bank has not put a cap on the number of withdrawals the accountholder can make though the bank’s ATMs, except for minors where it has been pegged at Rs. 10,000 per month
- The bank has put a limit on the amount that can be withdrawn from the ATM or be spent at POS transaction for minor accounts. The cash withdrawal limit is Rs. 5,000 and the POS limit is Rs. 10,000 per day
- The bank accountholder gets 3 complimentary cash transactions at other bank ATMs in metro locations and 5 at non-metro locations
- Accountholders get one complimentary chequebook for each quarter
- The company offers the customer the option of getting an SMS alert facility on payment of Rs. 15 per quarter
- Bank of India Website: www.bankofindia.co.in
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Toll Free Number: 1800 220 229, 1800 103 1906
- Jana Small Finance Bank Website: www.janabank.com
- Headquarters: Bengaluru, Karnataka
- Call Centre Number: 1800 2080, 1800 4200