Bank of India vs Lakshmi Vilas Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
Bank of India has a youth-oriented account called BOI Star Yuva Account while Lakshmi Vilas Bank does not have an account dedicated to children below 12 years of age, to whom it offers its general savings account called Savings Bank 301 through a parent or guardian. It does have an account for kids who have crossed 12 years of age called Savings Youth Power.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Bank of India
Bank of India does not have a specific children’s savings account, though it does have an account for the youth called BOI Star Yuva Account. Minors can open a standard savings account.
BOI Star Yuva Account
The account was conceptualised to inculcate saving habits among the youth. The website does not specifically provide a minimum age for account opening but from reading of the features it seems to be young adults aged 18 years or above.
- The minimum quarterly balance requirement is Rs. 2,500 in rural and semi-urban areas and Rs. 5,000 in urban areas and metros
- BOI offers a complimentary insurance of Rs. 50,000 for account holders in the 18-21 years age category and of Rs. 5,00,000 (Rs. 5 lakh) for account holders above 21 years
- The bank also offers reward points for every time the account debit card is used for cash withdrawals in its ATMs. 20 reward points are given at BOI Star Yuva Account opening
Savings Bank Ordinary Account
The account is the standard savings account that can be opened for a minor, usually under joint names.
- Being a nationalised bank, BOI is able to offer its Savings Bank Ordinary Account with considerable low balance requirements. The initial deposit and average quarterly balance is Rs. 500 if the minor / guardian needs a chequebook and Rs. 100 if the account is operated without a chequebook
- The bank offers certain benefits to customers of the savings account. For instance, an online income tax filing facility, free payment of utility bills and a BOI-National Swasthya Bima Policy floater mediclaim policy in collaboration with National Insurance at a low premium. A point to note is that kids usually do not need these services
Children’s Savings Accounts from Lakshmi Vilas Bank Limited
Lakshmi Vilas Bank does not have an account dedicated to children below 12 years of age. It offers minors below that age its general savings account called Savings Bank 301 through a guardian. It does have an account for kids who have crossed 12 years of age called Savings Youth Power.
Savings Youth Power
This account is designed for kids in the 12-24 years age group.
- The account comes with a minimum balance of Rs. 100
- There are no cash withdrawals at the home branch but at the same time, these withdrawals are not allowed at the non-home branches
- Cash remittances are free at the home branch for all amounts but not for amounts over Rs. 5,000 at non-home branch
- Demand draft or postal order charges are waived off for educational payments but are charged at standard rates for DDs made for other reasons
- The bank does not provide any chequebook for kids up to 17 years of age. The same age criteria exist for internet banking also. Mobile banking is free
- The Savings Youth Power Account, however, does offer an international debit card powered by Visa with a daily withdrawal limit of Rs. 5,000 per day. The card is free for the first year and a fee of Rs. 100 is charged from the second year
Savings Bank 301
The primary savings account of the bank. The standard features of the account are listed below and are likely to be different for minor accounts. (We suggest readers interested in opening this account for their child to discuss the specifics with the bank.)
- It allows guardians to open accounts for minors below 12 years while kids above 12 years can open and operate the account under their own name
- The minimum deposit is Rs. 1,000 for rural, Rs. 3,000 for semi-urban and Rs. 5,000 for urban branches
- The Savings Bank 301 Account does not have any restrictions on deposit or withdrawals
- Bank of India Website: www.bankofindia.co.in
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Toll-Free Number: 1800 220 229, 1800 103 1906
- Lakshmi Vilas Bank Website: www.lvbank.com
- Headquarters: Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Call Centre Number: 1800 425 2233