Bank of India vs RBL Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
Bank of India has a youth-oriented account called BOI Star Yuva Account while RBL Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s savings bank account but instead may offer its generic savings account under guardianship of a parent or guardian.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Bank of India
Bank of India does not have a specific children’s savings account, though it does have an account for the youth called BOI Star Yuva Account. Minors can open a standard savings account.
BOI Star Yuva Account
The account was conceptualised to inculcate saving habits among the youth. The website does not specifically provide a minimum age for account opening but from reading of the features it seems to be young adults aged 18 years or above.
- The minimum quarterly balance requirement is Rs. 2,500 in rural and semi-urban areas and Rs. 5,000 in urban areas and metros
- BOI offers a complimentary insurance of Rs. 50,000 for account holders in the 18-21 years age category and of Rs. 5,00,000 (Rs. 5 lakh) for account holders above 21 years
- The bank also offers reward points for every time the account debit card is used for cash withdrawals in its ATMs. 20 reward points are given at BOI Star Yuva Account opening
Savings Bank Ordinary Account
The account is the standard savings account that can be opened for a minor, usually under joint names.
- Being a nationalised bank, BOI is able to offer its Savings Bank Ordinary Account with considerable low balance requirements. The initial deposit and average quarterly balance is Rs. 500 if the minor / guardian needs a chequebook and Rs. 100 if the account is operated without a chequebook
- The bank offers certain benefits to customers of the savings account. For instance, an online income tax filing facility, free payment of utility bills and a BOI-National Swasthya Bima Policy floater mediclaim policy in collaboration with National Insurance at a low premium. A point to note is that kids usually do not need these services
Children’s Savings Accounts from RBL Bank Limited
RBL Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s savings bank account. We look at it standard savings account that like other banks that do not offer a specific children’s account is likely to be offered to minors through a parent or guardian.
Prime Savings Account
The prime savings account is the standard savings account of the bank and can be opened on behalf of a minor by the parent or guardian.
- The prime savings account is the standard savings account of the bank and comes with a minimum balance requirement of Rs. 5,000. Whether the same balance is required for minor account is not available on the site
- The minor account is closed on the child attaining majority and she has to submit KYC documents along with an account opening form to open a new account
- The account offers unlimited free transactions at RBL Bank ATMs and up to five complimentary transactions at other bank ATMs
- The account offers some of the best fixed deposit rates for banks in India
- RBL Bank offers wealth management options for its Prime Savings Account customers and it is likely to offer wealth growth options for its minor customers also
Note: The RBL Bank site has been designed for the mobile users and information is kept limited to perhaps enhance mobile user experience. It is suggested that you call the bank at the number below or visit the nearest branch if you are looking for more information on children’s or other accounts.
- Bank of India Website: www.bankofindia.co.in
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Toll-Free Number: 1800 220 229, 1800 103 1906
- RBL Bank Website: www.rblbank.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 123 8040