Bank of India vs Utkarsh Small Finance BI Bank
Bank of India has a youth-oriented account called BOI Star Yuva Account while Utkarsh Small Finance offers a single children’s savings account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Bank of India
Bank of India does not have a specific children’s savings account, though it does have an account for the youth called BOI Star Yuva Account. Minors can open a standard savings account.
BOI Star Yuva Account
The account was conceptualised to inculcate saving habits among the youth. The website does not specifically provide a minimum age for account opening but from reading of the features it seems to be young adults aged 18 years or above.
- The minimum quarterly balance requirement is Rs. 2,500 in rural and semi-urban areas and Rs. 5,000 in urban areas and metros
- BOI offers a complimentary insurance of Rs. 50,000 for account holders in the 18-21 years age category and of Rs. 5,00,000 (Rs. 5 lakh) for account holders above 21 years
- The bank also offers reward points for every time the account debit card is used for cash withdrawals in its ATMs. 20 reward points are given at BOI Star Yuva Account opening
Savings Bank Ordinary Account
The account is the standard savings account that can be opened for a minor, usually under joint names.
- Being a nationalised bank, BOI is able to offer its Savings Bank Ordinary Account with considerable low balance requirements. The initial deposit and average quarterly balance is Rs. 500 if the minor / guardian needs a chequebook and Rs. 100 if the account is operated without a chequebook
- The bank offers certain benefits to customers of the savings account. For instance, an online income tax filing facility, free payment of utility bills and a BOI-National Swasthya Bima Policy floater mediclaim policy in collaboration with National Insurance at a low premium. A point to note is that kids usually do not need these services
Children’s Savings Accounts from Utkarsh Small Finance Bank Limited
Utkarsh Small Finance Bank offers a dedicated savings account for children.
Minor Savings Account
The minor account is eligible for all children below the age of 18 years.
- The account has a minimum average quarterly balance requirement of Rs. 5,000 in metro and urban locations and Rs. 1,000 in semi-urban or rural locations
- The bank offers a Classic RuPay Debit Card with the Minor Savings Account
- Accountholders get unlimited free ATM access at both the bank’s own branches or other bank branches
- The ATM withdrawal and POS limits is Rs. 5,000, with a single transaction limit (ATM withdrawal or POS) also set at Rs. 5,000
- Accountholders get a complimentary chequebook of 20 leaves every quarter
- In addition, Utkarsh offers a free SMS facility
- Bank of India Website: www.bankofindia.co.in
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Toll Free Number: 1800 220 229, 1800 103 1906
- Utkarsh Small Finance Bank Website: www.utkarsh.bank
- Headquarters: Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
- Call Centre Number: 1800 123 9878, 1800 208 1788