Bank of Maharashtra vs Kotak Mahindra Bank
Bank of Maharashtra has Mahabank – Yuva Yojana for children in the 10-18 years age group. This is a savings cum investment account as a child can open a savings account and invest in recurring deposits and fixed deposits. Kotak Mahindra Bank offers a dedicated account called Junior – The Savings Account for Kids.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Bank of Maharashtra
Mahabank – Yuva Yojana
Bank of Maharashtra offers the Mahabank – Yuva Yojana as a comprehensive solution to take care of the savings needs and expenses of young children.
- Under this, children can open savings accounts and invest in recurring deposits and fixed deposits
- The savings account has no minimum balance requirements and can be opened with only Rs. 10
- Children do not get any chequebook until they are over 18 years, but by then the account becomes a standard savings account with minimum balance requirements and other terms and conditions that apply to the standard account
- The Mahabank – Yuva Yojana account comes with a free debit card but with specified spending limits
- Account holders can put in standing instructions to transfer money from their accounts to their recurring deposit. In addition, parents can put in standing instructions to put in money from their account to the child’s account
- Bank of Maharashtra also sanctions education loans to deserving students at the time to admission if they have held the account for over 6 months
The bank also allows parents and guardians to open a savings account jointly with a minor child.
- The minimum average balance requirements for the Mahabank – Savings Bank Scheme are calculated on a monthly basis. Service charges are applicable if the balance is less
- The documents needed to open the account (besides the application, of course) are an ID proof, an address proof, two passport-sized photographs and the PAN card or Form 60/61
- Interest is calculated on the daily balance on a quarterly basis
Children’s Savings Accounts from Kotak Mahindra Bank Limited
Kotak Mahindra Bank offers a children-focussed account called Junior – The Savings Account for Kids. Here is a look at some features of the account.
Junior – The Savings Account for Kids
The account comes in two variants, the standalone account and a bundle pack that includes the Junior Savings Account and a Guardian Savings Account.
- The account offers one of the higher interest rates for children’s accounts at 5% (as of November 2018)
- Bundled plan accountholders get access to a Recurring Deposit (RD) or a Systematic Investment Plan (SIP). The RD starts from as little as Rs. 2,000 and tenures that start from 36 months, while in the case of SIP the guardian can choose the amount and tenure
- The standalone Junior Account comes in different variants such as Platina, Ace, Pro, Classic, Edge and Nova. The distinction between these is the minimum balance required in the account and the customer segment to which the account is offered. For instance, the Platina account is a continuation of a portfolio of plans that Kotak Mahindra Bank acquired from its purchase of ING Vysya, while the Classic account is targeted at semi-urban and rural areas, and so on
- There is no minimum balance requirement for bundled Nova accounts provided they have an RD or a SIP in place. Otherwise, an average monthly balance of Rs. 5,000 is needed for Junior accounts. For non-junior accounts, the average monthly balance required is Rs. 5,000 (Nova), Rs. 10,000 (Edge and Classic), Rs. 50,000 (Ace) and Rs. 1 lakh (Platina)
- The charges for non-maintenance of the average balance ranges from Rs. 150 to Rs. 600 per month depending on the balance and the type of account.
- The Junior Savings Account offers personalised debit cards with daily withdrawal limits of Rs. 5,000 for kids above 10 years of age
- The bank offers certain children-centric privileges such as Junior Foodie, Junior Day Out, Junior Shopper, Junior Learner and Junior Angel
- Bank of Maharashtra Website: www.bankofmaharashtra.in and https://www.mahaconnect.in/jsp/index.html (net banking)
- Headquarters: Pune, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Toll Free Number: 1800 233 4526, 1800 102 2636
- Kotak Mahindra Bank Website: www.kotak.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1860-266-2666, 1860-266-0811 (for 811 Digital Bank Customers)