Catholic Syrian Bank vs Central Bank of India: Children’s Savings Accounts
Catholic Syrian Bank allows parents and guardians to open its various savings accounts – Blue, Silver, Gold and Platinum – on behalf of minors. Central Bank of India has the Cent Balbhavishya deposit account for kids. This is a deposit account and the bank offers its standard savings account to children for regular transactions. In addition, Central Bank offers recurring and fixed deposits for children.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Catholic Syrian Bank
Catholic Syrian Bank is one of the oldest banks in the country having been established in 1920. The bank does not offer a dedicated children’s savings bank account but its Blue, Silver, Gold and Platinum savings accounts can be opened on behalf of minors by their parents or guardian.
Blue Savings Account
This savings account comes one step up the InstaDigital Savings Account but offers lesser number of features than the Gold and Platinum accounts.
- Offers up to 5 free use of other bank ATMs
- Allows up to Rs. 40,000 in withdrawals from ATMs per day
- The Blue Savings Account comes with the RuPay Platinum Debit Card
- Minimum quarterly balance needed is Rs. 1,000 for urban areas and Rs. 500 for rural regions
Silver Savings Account
The Silver Savings Account is one step up the Orange Savings Account and comes with the following features.
- Unlimited free access to any ATMs in India
- Allows up to Rs. 75,000 in withdrawals from ATMs every day
- Users get 20% discount on locker rentals
- The Silver Savings Account comes with the VISA Platinum Debit Card and offers all its benefits
- Minimum quarterly balance needed is Rs. 5,000 for urban and rural areas
Gold Savings Account
The Gold savings account from Catholic Syrian falls between the Silver and Platinum accounts. Most of its benefits are similar to the Silver account.
- Unlimited free access to any bank ATM in the country
- Allows customers to withdraw up to Rs. 75,000 from ATMs every day
- Users get 30% discount on locker rentals
- The Gold Savings Account comes with the VISA Platinum Debit Card
- Minimum quarterly balance requirement is Rs. 25,000 for urban and rural areas
Platinum Savings Account
The top savings account from Catholic Syrian Bank portfolio.
- Users have unlimited free access to any ATMs in India
- Customers can take out up to Rs. 75,000 from any ATM every 24 hours
- The customers also get 50% discount on locker rentals
- Platinum Savings Account comes with the VISA Platinum Debit Card like the Silver and Gold accounts
- Minimum quarterly balance requirement is Rs. 1 lakh for both urban and rural branches
Children’s Savings Accounts from Central Bank of India
The bank has a children-only deposit account called Cent Balbhavishya and a standard savings account that can be opened jointly with an adult or in their own name by kids above 12 years of age. It also offers its standard recurring and fixed deposits for children through joint accounts.
The deposit account was conceived with the intention of cultivating saving habits among children.
- Any child up to the age of 12 years can open the account jointly with a parent or a guardian
- The minimum deposit needed to open the account is Rs. 50 for rural and semi-urban areas and Rs. 100 for urban areas and metros
- The bank requires at least one deposit in the account every month with total amount in account for each half-year being at least Rs. 500 (rural and semi-urban) or Rs. 1,000 (urban and metros)
- No withdrawals are permitted until the child reaches the age of 18 years, unless it is to make a fixed deposit
- Accordingly, cheque books are issued only when the child reaches 18 years
- Any excess amount in the account above Rs, 10,000 may be put into a fixed deposit for a period of 6 months to 10 years
- Central Bank of India will pay an additional interest of 0.5% on any fixed deposit for the child that is created from the funds in the Cent Balbhavishya account. The standard rates will apply from the time the child attains the age of majority
Home Saving Safe Accounts
This is the standard savings account of the bank.
- It can be opened by a minor jointly with an adult if she is below 12 years of age or by the minor herself if she is over 12 years and can read and write and operate the account
- The minimum amount needed to open the Home Saving Safe Account is Rs. 250 for rural branches, Rs. 500 for semi-urban branches and Rs. 1,000 for urban and metro branches
- The bank website mentions that a birth certificate from the Gram Panchayat, Notified Area Committee or Municipal Corporation will suffice as ID proof, though it is likely that with the spread of Aadhaar, an Aadhaar card or an Aadhaar enrolment number may be required
- Catholic Syrian Bank Website: www.csb.co.in
- Headquarters: Thrissur, Kerala
- Call Centre Number: 1800 266 9090
- Central Bank of India Website: www.centralbankofindia.co.in andwww.centralbank.net.in (net banking)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Toll Free Number (24 hours): 1800 22 1911