Central Bank of India vs AU Small Finance Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
Central Bank of India has the Cent Balbhavishya deposit account for kids. This is a deposit account and the bank offers its standard savings account to children for regular transactions. In addition, Central Bank offers recurring and fixed deposits for children. AU Small Finance Bank offers a specific kid’s savings account called BACHPAN, in addition to specific and general savings accounts.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Central Bank of India
The bank has a children-only deposit account called Cent Balbhavishya and a standard savings account that can be opened jointly with an adult or in their own name by kids above 12 years of age. It also offers its standard recurring and fixed deposits for children through joint accounts.
The deposit account was conceived with the intention of cultivating saving habits among children.
- Any child up to the age of 12 years can open the account jointly with a parent or a guardian
- The minimum deposit needed to open the account is Rs. 50 for rural and semi-urban areas and Rs. 100 for urban areas and metros
- The bank requires at least one deposit in the account every month with total amount in account for each half-year being at least Rs. 500 (rural and semi-urban) or Rs. 1,000 (urban and metros)
- No withdrawals are permitted until the child reaches the age of 18 years, unless it is to make a fixed deposit
- Accordingly, cheque books are issued only when the child reaches 18 years
- Any excess amount in the account above Rs, 10,000 may be put into a fixed deposit for a period of 6 months to 10 years
- Central Bank of India will pay an additional interest of 0.5% on any fixed deposit for the child that is created from the funds in the Cent Balbhavishya account. The standard rates will apply from the time the child attains the age of majority
Home Saving Safe Accounts
This is the standard savings account of the bank.
- It can be opened by a minor jointly with an adult if she is below 12 years of age or by the minor herself if she is over 12 years and can read and write and operate the account
- The minimum amount needed to open the Home Saving Safe Account is Rs. 250 for rural branches, Rs. 500 for semi-urban branches and Rs. 1,000 for urban and metro branches
- The bank website mentions that a birth certificate from the Gram Panchayat, Notified Area Committee or Municipal Corporation will suffice as ID proof, though it is likely that with the spread of Aadhaar, an Aadhaar card or an Aadhaar enrolment number may be required
Children’s Savings Accounts from AU Small Finance Bank Limited
AU Small Finance Bank offers savings accounts that focus on specific segments of customers. For children it offers a specific kid’s savings account called BACHPAN, in addition to specific and general savings accounts.
BACHPAN Savings Account
The savings account from AU Small Finance Bank comes under its Value service offerings and is specially meant for young children.
- The account needs a minimum average balance of Rs. 500 but there are no charges if the balance dips below this minimum amount
- Interest rates offered are supposed to be better than standard savings accounts
- The bank offers a VISA Gold Bachpan Debit Card with customisable benefits for kids aged 10 years and above. The card also has various insurance benefits such as education insurance and so on
- The BACHPAN Savings Account comes with its own special features such as Sweep-in, Locker, and Cash Deposit facilities
- Accountholders or their guardians can access the account through mobile banking, phone banking and internet banking
- Customers also benefit from the bank’s extended working hours
- The bank offers free transactions at its ATMs while the limit is kept at 10 transactions per month for other bank ATMs. The bank has ATMs in 10 states according to the company’s website as of February 2019
- Central Bank of India Website: www.centralbankofindia.co.in and www.centralbank.net.in (net banking)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Toll-Free Number (24 hours): 1800 22 1911
- AU Small Finance Bank Website: www.aubank.in
- Headquarters: Jaipur, Rajasthan
- Call Centre Number: 1800 1200 1200