Central Bank of India vs Dhanlaxmi Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
Central Bank of India has the Cent Balbhavishya deposit account for kids. This is a deposit account and the bank offers its standard savings account to children for regular transactions. In addition, Central Bank offers recurring and fixed deposits for children. Dhanlaxmi Bank offers the Dhanam Genius Savings Account in addition to its generic savings account for children.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Central Bank of India
The bank has a children-only deposit account called Cent Balbhavishya and a standard savings account that can be opened jointly with an adult or in their own name by kids above 12 years of age. It also offers its standard recurring and fixed deposits for children through joint accounts.
The deposit account was conceived with the intention of cultivating saving habits among children.
- Any child up to the age of 12 years can open the account jointly with a parent or a guardian
- The minimum deposit needed to open the account is Rs. 50 for rural and semi-urban areas and Rs. 100 for urban areas and metros
- The bank requires at least one deposit in the account every month with total amount in account for each half-year being at least Rs. 500 (rural and semi-urban) or Rs. 1,000 (urban and metros)
- No withdrawals are permitted until the child reaches the age of 18 years, unless it is to make a fixed deposit
- Accordingly, cheque books are issued only when the child reaches 18 years
- Any excess amount in the account above Rs, 10,000 may be put into a fixed deposit for a period of 6 months to 10 years
- Central Bank of India will pay an additional interest of 0.5% on any fixed deposit for the child that is created from the funds in the Cent Balbhavishya account. The standard rates will apply from the time the child attains the age of majority
Home Saving Safe Accounts
This is the standard savings account of the bank.
- It can be opened by a minor jointly with an adult if she is below 12 years of age or by the minor herself if she is over 12 years and can read and write and operate the account
- The minimum amount needed to open the Home Saving Safe Account is Rs. 250 for rural branches, Rs. 500 for semi-urban branches and Rs. 1,000 for urban and metro branches
- The bank website mentions that a birth certificate from the Gram Panchayat, Notified Area Committee or Municipal Corporation will suffice as ID proof, though it is likely that with the spread of Aadhaar, an Aadhaar card or an Aadhaar enrolment number may be required
Children’s Savings Accounts from Dhanlaxmi Bank Limited
Dhanlaxmi Bank offers a specific savings account for children called Dhanam Genius Savings Account. In addition, its Regular Savings Account can also be opened on behalf of minors.
Dhanam Genius Savings Account
The Dhanam Genius Savings Account is available for children in the age bracket of 10 to 23 years.
- The account only needs a minimum balance of Rs. 500
- Comes with an auto sweep facility that puts any amount in multiples of Rs. 1,000 in a fixed deposit for 30 days when the balance crosses Rs. 5,000. Nonetheless, accountholders can withdraw the amount at any point of time
- The Dhanam Genius Savings Account allows up to Rs. 5,000 in ATM withdrawals or POS transactions
- The bank offers complimentary ATM card and up to 2 NEFT or RTGS transactions as well as demand drafts or postal orders per month. Accountholders can get a personalised photo on the card for a payment of Rs. 200
Regular Savings Account
The standard savings account from the bank comes with the following features.
- Needs an average monthly balance of Rs. 1,000
- Comes with a free chequebook and unlimited non-cash (POS, etc.) transactions
- The bank offers a doorstep banking service with this account
- Central Bank of India Website: www.centralbankofindia.co.in and www.centralbank.net.in (net banking)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Toll-Free Number (24 hours): 1800 22 1911
- Dhanlaxmi Bank Website: www.dhanbank.com
- Headquarters: Thrissur, Kerala
- Call Centre Number: 0487 661 3000