DCB Bank vs Bank of India: Children’s Savings Accounts
DCB Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s account but instead offers its Classic savings account for children through parents or guardians. Bank of India has a youth-oriented account called BOI Star Yuva Account.
Let us look at each of these accounts.
Children’s Savings Accounts from DCB Bank
DCB Bank, known previously as Development Credit Bank, does not offer a dedicated children’s account though its Classic account may be available for children through their parents or guardian.
Classic Savings Bank Account
This is the standard savings bank account from the bank.
- Accountholders need to maintain a minimum balance of Rs. 5,000 for Tier I branches and Rs. 2,500 for Tier 2 branches. This amount may be less for accounts opened on behalf of minors. Details of the same are not provided clearly on the bank website and as with such instances it may be a good idea to call and ask customer care at the numbers below
- The Classic Savings Bank Account offers payable at par cheque book
- Accountholders also get unlimited free access to all the bank’s ATMs and Visa ATMs in India, provided the account has an average monthly balance of Rs.10,000
- One of the key features seems to be free unlimited use of online transfers through RTGS and NEFT
- Account holders also get complimentary internet, phone and mobile banking facilities, through the access is likely to be limited for the child directly unless they have reached a certain age, as happens with most banks
Children’s Savings Accounts from Bank of India
Bank of India does not have a specific children’s savings account, though it does have an account for the youth called BOI Star Yuva Account. Minors can open a standard savings account.
BOI Star Yuva Account
The account was conceptualised to inculcate saving habits among the youth. The website does not specifically provide a minimum age for account opening but from reading of the features it seems to be young adults aged 18 years or above.
- The minimum quarterly balance requirement is Rs. 2,500 in rural and semi-urban areas and Rs. 5,000 in urban areas and metros
- BOI offers a complimentary insurance of Rs. 50,000 for account holders in the 18-21 years age category and of Rs. 5,00,000 (Rs. 5 lakh) for account holders above 21 years
- The bank also offers reward points for every time the account debit card is used for cash withdrawals in its ATMs. 20 reward points are given at BOI Star Yuva Account opening
Savings Bank Ordinary Account
The account is the standard savings account that can be opened for a minor, usually under joint names.
- Being a nationalised bank, BOI is able to offer its Savings Bank Ordinary Account with considerable low balance requirements. The initial deposit and average quarterly balance is Rs. 500 if the minor / guardian needs a chequebook and Rs. 100 if the account is operated without a chequebook
- The bank offers certain benefits to customers of the savings account. For instance, an online income tax filing facility, free payment of utility bills and a BOI-National Swasthya Bima Policy floater mediclaim policy in collaboration with National Insurance at a low premium. A point to note is that kids usually do not need these services
- DCB Bank Website: www.dcbbank.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 209 5363, 1800 123 5363
- Bank of India Website: www.bankofindia.co.in
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Toll-Free Number: 1800 220 229, 1800 103 1906