DCB Bank vs Lakshmi Vilas Bank
DCB Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s account but instead offers its Classic savings account for children through parents or guardians. Lakshmi Vilas Bank does not have an account dedicated to children below 12 years of age, to whom it offers its general savings account called Savings Bank 301 through a parent or guardian. It does have an account for kids who have crossed 12 years of age called Savings Youth Power.
Children’s Savings Accounts from DCB Bank
DCB Bank, known previously as Development Credit Bank, does not offer a dedicated children’s account though its Classic account may be available for children through their parents or guardian.
Classic Savings Bank Account
This is the standard savings bank account from the bank.
- Accountholders need to maintain a minimum balance of Rs. 5,000 for Tier I branches and Rs. 2,500 for Tier 2 branches. This amount may be less for accounts opened on behalf of minors. Details of the same are not provided clearly on the bank website and as with such instances it may be a good idea to call and ask customer care at the numbers below
- The Classic Savings Bank Account offers payable at par cheque book
- Accountholders also get unlimited free access to all the bank’s ATMs and Visa ATMs in India, provided the account has an average monthly balance of Rs.10,000
- One of the key features seems to be free unlimited use of online transfers through RTGS and NEFT
- Account holders also get complimentary internet, phone and mobile banking facilities, through the access is likely to be limited for the child directly unless they have reached a certain age, as happens with most banks
Children’s Savings Accounts from Lakshmi Vilas Bank
Lakshmi Vilas Bank does not have an account dedicated to children below 12 years of age. It offers minors below that age its general savings account called Savings Bank 301 through a guardian. It does have an account for kids who have crossed 12 years of age called Savings Youth Power.
Savings Youth Power
This account is designed for kids in the 12-24 years age group.
- The account comes with a minimum balance of Rs. 100
- There are no cash withdrawals at the home branch but at the same time, these withdrawals are not allowed at the non-home branches
- Cash remittances are free at the home branch for all amounts but not for amounts over Rs. 5,000 at non-home branch
- Demand draft or postal order charges are waived off for educational payments but are charged at standard rates for DDs made for other reasons
- The bank does not provide any chequebook for kids up to 17 years of age. The same age criteria exist for internet banking also. Mobile banking is free
- The Savings Youth Power Account, however, does offer an international debit card powered by Visa with a daily withdrawal limit of Rs. 5,000 per day. The card is free for the first year and a fee of Rs. 100 is charged from the second year
Savings Bank 301
The primary savings account of the bank. The standard features of the account are listed below and are likely to be different for minor accounts. (We suggest readers interested in opening this account for their child to discuss the specifics with the bank.)
- It allows guardians to open accounts for minors below 12 years while kids above 12 years can open and operate the account under their own name
- The minimum deposit is Rs. 1,000 for rural, Rs. 3,000 for semi-urban and Rs. 5,000 for urban branches
- The Savings Bank 301 Account does not have any restrictions on deposit or withdrawals
- DCB Bank Website: www.dcbbank.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 209 5363, 1800 123 5363
- Lakshmi Vilas Bank Website: www.lvbank.com
- Headquarters: Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Call Centre Number: 1800 425 2233