Dhanlaxmi Bank vs Bank of Baroda (BoB)
Dhanlaxmi Bank offers the Dhanam Genius Savings Account in addition to its generic savings account for children. Bank of Baroda (BoB) has the Baroda Champ Savings Account. The bank is also supposed to have a Gen-Next Junior account which seems to be offered only in the Gen-Next Pune branch of the bank.
Let us look at each of these accounts.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Dhanlaxmi Bank
Dhanlaxmi Bank offers a specific savings account for children called Dhanam Genius Savings Account. In addition, its Regular Savings Account can also be opened on behalf of minors.
Dhanam Genius Savings Account
The Dhanam Genius Savings Account is available for children in the age bracket of 10 to 23 years.
- The account only needs a minimum balance of Rs. 500
- Comes with an auto sweep facility that puts any amount in multiples of Rs. 1,000 in a fixed deposit for 30 days when the balance crosses Rs. 5,000. Nonetheless, accountholders can withdraw the amount at any point of time
- The Dhanam Genius Savings Account allows up to Rs. 5,000 in ATM withdrawals or POS transactions
- The bank offers complimentary ATM card and up to 2 NEFT or RTGS transactions as well as demand drafts or postal orders per month. Accountholders can get a personalised photo on the card for a payment of Rs. 200
Regular Savings Account
The standard savings account from the bank comes with the following features.
- Needs an average monthly balance of Rs. 1,000
- Comes with a free chequebook and unlimited non-cash (POS, etc.) transactions
- The bank offers a doorstep banking service with this account
Children’s Savings Accounts from Bank of Baroda
Note: There is limited information on BoB accounts for minors and it seems it did not offer a dedicated children’s account before the Champ and Gen-Next accounts. Possibly, minors could open a standard savings account through a parent or guardian.
Baroda Champ Savings Account
This account is meant for children in the 10-18 years age category. The account was launched in the run-up to the FIFA Under-17 World Cup 2017 that was hosted in India.
- Minors can open the Baroda Champ Savings Account with a minimum deposit of Rs. 1,000
- The maximum balance in the account is capped at Rs. 1 lakh
- BoB allows up to 50 free withdrawals per year. Accountholders can withdraw another 50 times from the account but the bank charges Rs. 15 per transaction
- Children (or parents) can withdraw money from the account using withdrawal slips and cheques. The bank allows withdrawals as low as Rs. 25 in rural and semi-urban areas and Rs. 50 in urban locations
- The debit card for the account is issued in the name of the parent or guardian for kids in the 10-15 years age group. For children over 15 years, it will be in their own name
- The transaction limit is restricted to Rs. 3,000 per day through ATM banking, mobile banking, POS and e-commerce though the overall limit is kept at Rs. 5,000 per day. This means you can go to the branch and withdraw Rs. 2,000 even if you have used up Rs. 3,000 limit
- The bank offers a free passbook for accountholders and cheque book facility with up to 45 free leaves
- Free ATM transactions at other bank ATMs is capped at 3 for 6 Tier I metros (Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Bangalore and Hyderabad) and at 5 for other cities
From the bank’s website, it seems the account is only offered the Gen-Next branch in Pune, Maharashtra.
- Minors up to 18 years can open this Gen-Next Junior account
- The average quarterly balance required is Rs. 500 and the bank charges Rs. 50 per quarter if the balance falls below this limit
- Children below 10 years can open the account jointly with parents or guardians; those above 10 years can have an account in their own name provided they are literate
- There is a ceiling on of Rs. 1,00,000 as balance outstanding on any day if the minor holds the account in her own name. In case the account is held jointly by a minor of 14 years or above and the parent or guardian, then there is no such limit
- Debit cards will have the parent’s or guardian’s name if the child is below 15 years; if above, then the kid’s name will be on the card
- The rules for a standard savings account will apply for this account also
Bank of Baroda Savings Account
The standard savings account of the bank.
- The bank has a put an upper limit of Rs. 1,00,000 as the maximum limit outstanding on any day if a minor, aged 10-14 years, operates the account on her own
- The minimum balance requirement is Rs. 500 for rural and semi-urban areas and Rs. 1,000 for urban areas and metros
Note: We are not getting into details here about the savings account. If you wish to know more of the features, you can visit the specific page of the bank website here.
- Dhanlaxmi Bank Website: www.dhanbank.com
- Headquarters: Thrissur, Kerala
- Call Centre Number: 0487 661 3000
- Bank of Baroda Website: www.bankofbaroda.com and www.bobibanking.com (net banking)
- Headquarters: Baroda (Vadodara), Gujarat
- Call Centre Toll Free Number: 1800 223 344, 1800 102 4455