Dhanlaxmi Bank vs Bank of Maharashtra: Children’s Savings Accounts
Dhanlaxmi Bank offers the Dhanam Genius Savings Account in addition to its generic savings account for children. Bank of Maharashtra has Mahabank – Yuva Yojana for children in the 10-18 years age group. This is a savings cum investment account as a child can open a savings account and invest in recurring deposits and fixed deposits.
Let us look at each of these accounts.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Dhanlaxmi Bank
Dhanlaxmi Bank offers a specific savings account for children called Dhanam Genius Savings Account. In addition, its Regular Savings Account can also be opened on behalf of minors.
Dhanam Genius Savings Account
The Dhanam Genius Savings Account is available for children in the age bracket of 10 to 23 years.
- The account only needs a minimum balance of Rs. 500
- Comes with an auto sweep facility that puts any amount in multiples of Rs. 1,000 in a fixed deposit for 30 days when the balance crosses Rs. 5,000. Nonetheless, accountholders can withdraw the amount at any point of time
- The Dhanam Genius Savings Account allows up to Rs. 5,000 in ATM withdrawals or POS transactions
- The bank offers complimentary ATM card and up to 2 NEFT or RTGS transactions as well as demand drafts or postal orders per month. Accountholders can get a personalised photo on the card for a payment of Rs. 200
Regular Savings Account
The standard savings account from the bank comes with the following features.
- Needs an average monthly balance of Rs. 1,000
- Comes with a free chequebook and unlimited non-cash (POS, etc.) transactions
- The bank offers a doorstep banking service with this account
Children’s Savings Accounts from Bank of Maharashtra
Mahabank – Yuva Yojana
Bank of Maharashtra offers the Mahabank – Yuva Yojana as a comprehensive solution to take care of the savings needs and expenses of young children.
- Under this, children can open savings accounts and invest in recurring deposits and fixed deposits
- The savings account has no minimum balance requirements and can be opened with only Rs. 10
- Children do not get any chequebook until they are over 18 years, but by then the account becomes a standard savings account with minimum balance requirements and other terms and conditions that apply to the standard account
- The Mahabank – Yuva Yojana account comes with a free debit card but with specified spending limits
- Account holders can put in standing instructions to transfer money from their accounts to their recurring deposit. In addition, parents can put in standing instructions to put in money from their account to the child’s account
- Bank of Maharashtra also sanctions education loans to deserving students at the time to admission if they have held the account for over 6 months
The bank also allows parents and guardians to open a savings account jointly with a minor child.
- The minimum average balance requirements for the Mahabank – Savings Bank Scheme are calculated on a monthly basis. Service charges are applicable if the balance is less
- The documents needed to open the account (besides the application, of course) are an ID proof, an address proof, two passport-sized photographs and the PAN card or Form 60/61
- Interest is calculated on the daily balance on a quarterly basis
- Dhanlaxmi Bank Website: www.dhanbank.com
- Headquarters: Thrissur, Kerala
- Call Centre Number: 0487 661 3000
- Bank of Maharashtra Website: www.bankofmaharashtra.in and www.mahaconnect (net banking)
- Headquarters: Pune, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Toll-Free Number: 1800 233 4526, 1800 102 2636