Federal Bank vs Citibank
Federal Bank offers two savings accounts called Young Champ and YuvaMitra for children and young adults. Citibank offers a single dedicated children’s savings account called Citibank Junior Account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Federal Bank
Federal Bank offers two savings accounts called Young Champ and YuvaMitra for children. Details of whether its standard savings accounts can be opened for children are not available on the website.
The account is for all children up to the age of 18 years whether resident in India or abroad.
- The account needs an average monthly balance of Rs. 1,000
- Children below 10 years can only open the account if the parent or guardian acts as the authorised signatory while kids above that age can open the account in their own name and operate it independently
- The child also gets a specially designed debit card with a daily ATM or POS transaction limit of Rs. 2,500 with the Young Champ account
- Charges on demand drafts for educational purposes are waived off up to a sum of Rs. 50,000
- The bank offers reward points if the account holder or her parent or guardian opens a recurring deposit
- Internet banking comes with a view-only facility
- The accountholder also gets free email and mobile alerts and free standing instructions to debit account of parent and transfer the same to that of the child
- The account cannot be opened online and the child, parent or guardian has to visit the branch
The account can be opened by any kid after they have passed class 10 and up to the time they have attained their professional degree or diploma.
- There is no minimum balance requirement for the account
- The young adult gets a chequebook of 20 leaves a year and a debit card
- The daily cash withdrawal and POS limits are both Rs. 50,000 for the YuvaMitra account
- Accountholders get free internet banking, mobile banking and email alerts
Children’s Savings Accounts from Citibank
Citibank offers the Citibank Junior Account as a children’s savings account.
Citibank Junior Account
The account is available for all children below the age of 18 years.
- Need at least two accountholders of whom the first is the minor and the second the parent or guardian
- Comes with Systematic Investment Plans that helps the parent plan the child’s future
- Children above the age of 15 years also get a debit card
- The Citibank Junior Account comes with two insurance plan options – BSLI Classic Child Plan and Dream Child Plan – that allow the parent to plan for the child’s education. The bank offers 10 different investment funds under the Classic Child Plan
- Accountholders can open their children’s Investment Services Accounts with the bank. They get online access to the investments and also get comprehensive reports on financial markets
- Federal Bank Website: www.federalbank.co.in
- Headquarters: Aluva (Kochi), Kerala
- Call Centre Number: 1800 425 1199
- Citibank N.A. Website: www.online.citibank.co.in
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1860 210 2484, +91 22 4955 2484 (from outside India)