Federal Bank vs Fincare Small Finance Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
Federal Bank offers two savings accounts called Young Champ and YuvaMitra for children and young adults. Fincare Small Finance Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s account though it is likely to offer its Smart Saver or Priority Accounts to minors as a joint account with a parent or guardian.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Federal Bank
Federal Bank offers two savings accounts called Young Champ and YuvaMitra for children. Details of whether its standard savings accounts can be opened for children are not available on the website.
The account is for all children up to the age of 18 years whether resident in India or abroad.
- The account needs an average monthly balance of Rs. 1,000
- Children below 10 years can only open the account if the parent or guardian acts as the authorised signatory while kids above that age can open the account in their own name and operate it independently
- The child also gets a specially designed debit card with a daily ATM or POS transaction limit of Rs. 2,500 with the Young Champ account
- Charges on demand drafts for educational purposes are waived off up to a sum of Rs. 50,000
- The bank offers reward points if the account holder or her parent or guardian opens a recurring deposit
- Internet banking comes with a view-only facility
- The accountholder also gets free email and mobile alerts and free standing instructions to debit account of parent and transfer the same to that of the child
- The account cannot be opened online and the child, parent or guardian has to visit the branch
The account can be opened by any kid after they have passed class 10 and up to the time they have attained their professional degree or diploma.
- There is no minimum balance requirement for the account
- The young adult gets a chequebook of 20 leaves a year and a debit card
- The daily cash withdrawal and POS limits are both Rs. 50,000 for the YuvaMitra account
- Accountholders get free internet banking, mobile banking and email alerts
Children’s Savings Accounts from Fincare Small Finance Bank
Fincare Small Finance Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s account but it is likely that it allows guardians to open a minor account under its Smart Saver or Priority Accounts.
Smart Saver Account
This is the standard savings account of the bank.
- Needs an average monthly balance of Rs. 1,000
- Fincare Bank offers a RuPay Silver debit card to account holders
- The card entitles the shareholder to a personal insurance cover of Rs. 1 lakh
- Smart Saver accountholders also get access to 5 free transactions at non-metro ATMs and 3 complimentary transactions in metros
The priority account is a step above the Smart Saver Account.
- The account needs an average monthly balance of Rs. 10,000 or at least Rs. 1 lakh in fixed deposit
- There are no mentions in the website of whether the Priority account can be opened by a minor or on behalf of a minor but considering the standard procedure in other banks, it is likely that any minor account that has a minimum balance of Rs. 10,000 as balance would qualify as a Priority Savings Account
- Federal Bank Website: www.federalbank.co.in
- Headquarters: Aluva (Kochi), Kerala
- Call Centre Number: 1800 425 1199
- Fincare Small Finance Bank Website: www.fincarebank.com
- Headquarters: Bangalore, Karnataka
- Call Centre Number: 1800 3010 0111