HDFC Bank vs Jana Small Finance Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
HDFC Bank offers a dedicated children’s savings account called Kids Advantage Account. Jana Small Finance Bank does not offer a dedicated minor savings account even though the standard savings account can be opened by a minor jointly with a parent or guardian.
Children’s Savings Accounts from HDFC Bank
HDFC Bank, the largest private sector bank in the country in terms of market capitalisation as of September 2019, offers a dedicated children’s savings account called Kids Advantage Account.
Kids Advantage Account
The primary aim of the account is to help build a corpus for the child for her future financial needs.
- The account is available for every child up to the age of 18 years
- The bank mandates a minimum average monthly balance of Rs. 5,000 below which it charges service fees. The service fee is Rs. Rs. 150 in case the balance is between Rs. 2,500 and Rs. 5,000, and Rs. 300 in case the balance is less than Rs. 2,500
- Minors above the age of 10 years can open and operate the account on their own
- HDFC Bank requires the parent or guardian to have a savings account with the bank before they can open a Kids Advantage Account
- The international ATM-cum-Debit card debit card comes with a Rs. 2,500 ATM withdrawal limit and Rs. 10,000 POS limit per day
- HDFC Bank also offers an education insurance cover of Rs. 1 lakh for the child in case the parent or guardian passes away in a road, rail or air accident
- Its MoneyMaximizer option allows the accountholder to agree to a sweep-out option. Under this when the account reaches or crosses Rs. 35,000, any sum in excess of Rs. 25,000 is automatically transferred to a fixed deposit for 1 year and 1 day
- The accountholders get a free payable at par chequebook of 25 leaves at the time of account opening and every year thereafter
- The account comes with free net, phone and SMS banking facilities
Children’s Savings Accounts from Jana Small Finance Bank
Jana Small Finance Bank does not offer a dedicated minor savings account and though it does not mention clearly on its website if the regular savings account is open for minors, reading of the Terms and Conditions of the service charges file shows that the account can be opened by or on behalf of minors.
Regular Savings Account
This is the standard savings account of the bank.
- The bank needs an average monthly balance of Rs. 2,500
- The Regular Savings Account comes with a RuPay Debit Card
- The bank has not put a cap on the number of withdrawals the accountholder can make though the bank’s ATMs, except for minors where it has been pegged at Rs. 10,000 per month
- The bank has put a limit on the amount that can be withdrawn from the ATM or be spent at POS transaction for minor accounts. The cash withdrawal limit is Rs. 5,000 and the POS limit is Rs. 10,000 per day
- The bank accountholder gets 3 complimentary cash transactions at other bank ATMs in metro locations and 5 at non-metro locations
- Accountholders get one complimentary chequebook for each quarter
- The company offers the customer the option of getting an SMS alert facility on payment of Rs. 15 per quarter
- HDFC Bank Website: www.hdfcbank.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 258 3838
- Jana Small Finance Bank Website: www.janabank.com
- Headquarters: Bengaluru, Karnataka
- Call Centre Number: 1800 2080, 1800 4200