IDBI Bank vs City Union Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
IDBI Bank offers two accounts called Power Kidz Account and Being Me while City Union Bank offers a dedicated savings account called Junior India for children.
Children’s Savings Accounts from IDBI Bank Limited
IDBI Bank offers the Power Kidz Account for children. It also has a savings account targeted at the youth called the IDBI Being Me Account.
Power Kidz Account
From a reading of the website, it seems the account is not meant for kids below 10 years of age.
- Can be opened by a minor in her own name if she is over 10 years of age, or by the parent or guardian in case she is below that age
- The minimum average balance in the account is Rs. 500 but there are no charges if the minimum balance criterion is not met
- Kids above 10 years who have opened the Power Kidz Account in their own name will get an exclusively designed debit card with their name
- The bank gives a personalised chequebook to the child
- The ATM withdrawal or POS transaction limit is Rs. 2,000
- The bank offers up to 5 free transactions at non-IDBI Bank ATMs in non-metro locations
Being Me Account
A savings account designed to help the youth cultivate financial common sense.
- There are no details on the site on minimum or maximum age to open and operate the account
- A minimum amount of Rs. 2,500 is needed to open the account
- The daily limit for ATM transactions and merchant (POS) purchases is Rs. 25,000 for the Being Me Account
- The bank offers preferential rates on educational loans and gives preference to account holders to take up educational project work at the bank, provided there are seats available
- It even gives discounts on opening share trading accounts with IDBI Capital Markets & Securities
Children’s Savings Accounts from City Union Bank Limited
Tamil Nadu-headquartered City Union Bank is the oldest private sector bank in the country having been established in 1904. It offers a dedicated savings account for children called Junior India. It also offers an account for young adults between the ages of 18 and 25 years called Young India.
The account can be opened for children with ages ranging from 1 day to 18 years
- The account is operated by the parent or guardian
- Children above the age of 12 years can undertake transactions at the bank or through ATMs on their own
- Account holders above 12 years also get access to internet banking (CUB Net) and mobile banking (CUB Mobile) facilities
- School and college fees can be made free of cost under the Junior India account
- Online transfer to other City Union Bank accounts through NEFT, RTGS or IMPS is free too
- The standard KYC documents and proofs are needed for both the child and the parent or guardian to open the account
- IDBI Bank Website: www.idbi.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 200 1947, 1800 221 070
- City Union Bank Website: www.cityunionbank.com
- Headquarters: Kumbakonam, Tamil Nadu
- Call Centre Number: 044 7122 5000