Indian Bank vs Federal Bank
Indian Bank provides the IB Smart Kid SB Account for children and probably its standard savings account jointly with a parent or guardian. Federal Bank offers two savings accounts called Young Champ and YuvaMitra for children and young adults.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Indian Bank
The bank offers the IB Smart Kid SB Account for children and in all likelihood, its savings account also under the parent’s or guardian’s name as done by most banks though information on that is not clearly available in the website.
IB Smart Kid SB Account
The bank offers the IB Smart Kid SB Account for children who are only 1 day old to those below 18 years of age.
- The bank mandates a minimum average monthly balance of Rs. 100 for accounts without chequebooks and Rs. 250 for those that have chequebooks
- Kids above 10 years are eligible to have their own debit card provided the parent or guardian agrees to the issue of the card
- The child also gets access to the online account if the parent or guardian provides her consent
- Interest is credited quarterly in the months of January, April, July and October
Children’s Savings Accounts from Federal Bank Limited
Federal Bank offers two savings accounts called Young Champ and YuvaMitra for children. Details of whether its standard savings accounts can be opened for children are not available on the website.
The account is for all children up to the age of 18 years whether resident in India or abroad.
- The account needs an average monthly balance of Rs. 1,000
- Children below 10 years can only open the account if the parent or guardian acts as the authorised signatory while kids above that age can open the account in their own name and operate it independently
- The child also gets a specially designed debit card with a daily ATM or POS transaction limit of Rs. 2,500 with the Young Champ account
- Charges on demand drafts for educational purposes are waived off up to a sum of Rs. 50,000
- The bank offers reward points if the account holder or her parent or guardian opens a recurring deposit
- Internet banking comes with a view-only facility
- The accountholder also gets free email and mobile alerts and free standing instructions to debit account of parent and transfer the same to that of the child
- The account cannot be opened online and the child, parent or guardian has to visit the branch
The account can be opened by any kid after they have passed class 10 and up to the time they have attained their professional degree or diploma.
- There is no minimum balance requirement for the account
- The young adult gets a chequebook of 20 leaves a year and a debit card
- The daily cash withdrawal and POS limits are both Rs. 50,000 for the YuvaMitra account
- Accountholders get free internet banking, mobile banking and email alerts
- Indian Bank Website: www.indianbank.in and www.indianbank.net.in (net banking)
- Headquarters: Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Call Centre Number (24 Hours): 1800 425 00 000, 1800 425 4422
- Federal Bank Website: www.federalbank.co.in
- Headquarters: Aluva (Kochi), Kerala
- Call Centre Number: 1800 425 1199