Indian Overseas Bank vs IndusInd Bank
Indian Overseas Bank (IOB) offers the SB – Little Star account for young children while IndusInd Bank offers a dedicated children’s account called the Indus Young Saver account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Indian Overseas Bank
SB – Little Star Account
The account has been designed for all children – from 1 day old babies to up to 18 year old young adults.
- The account can be opened by any child aged 1 day to less than 18 years
- The minimum balance needed in the account is Rs. 100, while the maximum amount that can be kept is Rs. 50,000
- IOB offers free collection facility for cheques or draft instruments gifted to the child and valued up to Rs. 25,000 per annum
- It also offers a Sweep-In, Sweep-Out facility where any amount in the account in excess of Rs. 10,000 is taken out of the account and turned into fixed deposits of Rs. 2,000 each. If the balance falls below Rs. 10,000 then the most recent fixed deposits are put back in the SB – Little Star Account so the balance is back to being at least Rs. 10,000
- Parents also have the option to invest in other options such as recurring deposits, insurance, mutual funds and so on
Children’s Savings Accounts from IndusInd Bank Limited
IndusInd Bank, originally a bank focussed on the non-resident Indian community, has now become one of the leading private sector banks in India. It offers a dedicated children’s account called the Indus Young Saver account.
Indus Young Saver Account
The account helps parents get an optimal mix of savings and investment options for their children.
- Can be opened under the parent’s name as a guardian account or under the child’s name if she has crossed the 12 years age limit
- The account needs an average monthly balance of Rs. 5,000, which can be waived off if it is linked to a privilege account of the parent or there is a recurring deposit of at least Rs. 2,500 every month
- Children with an Indus Young Saver Account get a personalised debit card if they are over 12 years of age
- Even the chequebook can have the child’s name
- Indian Overseas Bank Website: www.iob.in and www.iobnet.co.in (net banking)
- Headquarters: Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Call Centre Number: 1800 425 4445
- IndusInd Bank Website: www.indusind.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1860 500 5004, 1860 267 7777 (Credit Cards)