Indian Overseas Bank vs Jammu & Kashmir Bank
Indian Overseas Bank (IOB) offers the SB – Little Star account for young children while Jammu & Kashmir Bank does not have a specific account for minors and instead provides its savings accounts for minors above the age of 10 years.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Indian Overseas Bank
SB – Little Star Account
The account has been designed for all children – from 1 day old babies to up to 18 year old young adults.
- The account can be opened by any child aged 1 day to less than 18 years
- The minimum balance needed in the account is Rs. 100, while the maximum amount that can be kept is Rs. 50,000
- IOB offers free collection facility for cheques or draft instruments gifted to the child and valued up to Rs. 25,000 per annum
- It also offers a Sweep-In, Sweep-Out facility where any amount in the account in excess of Rs. 10,000 is taken out of the account and turned into fixed deposits of Rs. 2,000 each. If the balance falls below Rs. 10,000 then the most recent fixed deposits are put back in the SB – Little Star Account so the balance is back to being at least Rs. 10,000
- Parents also have the option to invest in other options such as recurring deposits, insurance, mutual funds and so on
Children’s Savings Accounts from Jammu & Kashmir Bank Limited
Jammu & Kashmir Bank does not have a specific account for minors and provides its savings accounts for minors above the age of 10 years.
General Savings Account
This is the standard savings account of the bank and can be opened by individuals singly or jointly, by HUFs and by minors aged 10 years or above. Even organisations approved by RBI can open an account.
- Accountholders who have a chequebook need to maintain Rs. 2,000 as average monthly balance while those without chequebooks only need to have Rs. 1,000 as average monthly balance
- Minors get their own ATM-debit card
- The bank offers up to 30 free over the counter cash withdrawals for accountholders every 6 months
- The international debit card comes with a limit of Rs. 40,000 for ATM withdrawals and Rs. 1 lakh for POS (card swipe) transactions
- Jammu & Kashmir Bank offers complimentary online and mobile banking facilities for the General Savings Account
- The bank offers a free chequebook of 20 leaves in a year. The number of leaves for senior citizens is 25
Deluxe Savings Account
This is a premium savings account offering from the bank and as with the general account can be opened by individuals, whether singly or jointly, by HUFs, by minors who are 10 years or above in age and by organisations approved by RBI to open a savings account.
- The account requires an average monthly balance of Rs. 5,000
- As with the General account, the Deluxe account provides up to 30 free over the counter cash withdrawals for accountholders every six months
- The debit card comes with a slightly higher ATM withdrawal limit of Rs. 1 lakh and POS (card swipe) transaction limit of Rs. 1.5 lakh
- The Deluxe Savings Account comes with free online and mobile banking facilities
- As with the General Savings Account, the Deluxe account comes with a complimentary chequebook of 20 leaves every year for regular users and of 25 leaves for senior citizens
General Small Account
This account is a type of savings account created to bring the unbanked population into the fold of the banking sector. Literate minors above the age of 10 years can open the account.
- The bank only needs a deposit of Rs. 50 to open the account though
- The General Small Account has a maximum balance limit, however, of Rs. 50,000
- It also comes with a cap on the maximum amount that can be credited in a year. It currently stands at Rs. 1 lakh
- There is limit on number and amount of withdrawals and transfers each month (4 withdrawals and up to Rs. 10,000 in terms of amount)
- The bank offers a chequebook if one maintains a balance of Rs.1,000 per month for at least 6 months
- Indian Overseas Bank Website: www.iob.in and www.iobnet.co.in (net banking)
- Headquarters: Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Call Centre Number: 1800 425 4445
- Jammu & Kashmir Bank Website: www.jkbank.com
- Headquarters: Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir
- Call Centre Number: 1800 1800 234, 1800 1800 234 (E-Banking)