Punjab National Bank vs Citibank
Punjab National Bank offers dedicated accounts for kids such as PNB Junior SF Account and the PNB Vidyarthi SF Account. Citibank offers a single dedicated children’s savings account called Citibank Junior Account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Punjab National Bank
PNB is the second largest bank in India after SBI and offers specific accounts for children such as the PNB Junior SF Account and the PNB Vidyarthi SF Account.
PNB Junior SF Account
The account can be opened by a child through her parent or guardian or she can open and operate it herself if she has crossed 10 years of age.
- As mentioned, any child of any age can open the PNB Junior SF Account through her parent or guardian. Children over 10 years of age can open and operate the account under their own name
- There is no minimum deposit needed to open the account. Plus, there is no need for any minimum balance either
- The child can get a free cheque book of 20 leaves per six months, i.e. two chequebooks of 40 leaves per year
- Demand drafts made out to pay school or college fees are free of cost
- The bank, however, has put a limit of Rs. 5,000 on debit card use per day, be that through ATM withdrawals, POS transactions at shops (card swipe in case you are wondering) or online payments
- Kids or their parents can have a view of the account balance and transactions through both online and mobiles but transactions are not allowed
PNB Vidyarthi SF Account
The account as the name suggests is for children studying in recognised educational institutions.
- The account is available for children up to 21 years of age. Once they reach adulthood, the account becomes a standard savings account with all its perks and limitations
- Like the PNB Junior SF Account, there are no minimum balance requirements for initial deposit and average quarterly balance in the PNB Vidyarthi SF Account
- All demand drafts made out for any type of fees are free of cost
- Like the children’s account, the child is eligible to receive two chequebooks of 20 leaves each per year
- Most fees and charges in the account have been waived off by the bank through there is an annual maintenance charge for the debit card
Children’s Savings Accounts from Citibank
Citibank offers the Citibank Junior Account as a children’s savings account.
Citibank Junior Account
The account is available for all children below the age of 18 years.
- Need at least two accountholders of whom the first is the minor and the second the parent or guardian
- Comes with Systematic Investment Plans that helps the parent plan the child’s future
- Children above the age of 15 years also get a debit card
- The Citibank Junior Account comes with two insurance plan options – BSLI Classic Child Plan and Dream Child Plan – that allow the parent to plan for the child’s education. The bank offers 10 different investment funds under the Classic Child Plan
- Accountholders can open their children’s Investment Services Accounts with the bank. They get online access to the investments and also get comprehensive reports on financial markets
- Punjab National Bank Website: www.pnbindia.in and www.netpnb.com (net banking)
- Headquarters: New Delhi, Delhi
- Call Centre Number: 1800 180 2222, 1800 103 2222
- Citibank N.A. Website: www.online.citibank.co.in
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1860 210 2484, +91 22 4955 2484 (from outside India)