Punjab National Bank vs Indian Overseas Bank
Punjab National Bank offers dedicated accounts for kids such as PNB Junior SF Account and the PNB Vidyarthi SF Account. Indian Overseas Bank (IOB) offers the SB – Little Star account for young children.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Punjab National Bank
PNB is the second largest bank in India after SBI and offers specific accounts for children such as the PNB Junior SF Account and the PNB Vidyarthi SF Account.
PNB Junior SF Account
The account can be opened by a child through her parent or guardian or she can open and operate it herself if she has crossed 10 years of age.
- As mentioned, any child of any age can open the PNB Junior SF Account through her parent or guardian. Children over 10 years of age can open and operate the account under their own name
- There is no minimum deposit needed to open the account. Plus, there is no need for any minimum balance either
- The child can get a free cheque book of 20 leaves per six months, i.e. two chequebooks of 40 leaves per year
- Demand drafts made out to pay school or college fees are free of cost
- The bank, however, has put a limit of Rs. 5,000 on debit card use per day, be that through ATM withdrawals, POS transactions at shops (card swipe in case you are wondering) or online payments
- Kids or their parents can have a view of the account balance and transactions through both online and mobiles but transactions are not allowed
PNB Vidyarthi SF Account
The account as the name suggests is for children studying in recognised educational institutions.
- The account is available for children up to 21 years of age. Once they reach adulthood, the account becomes a standard savings account with all its perks and limitations
- Like the PNB Junior SF Account, there are no minimum balance requirements for initial deposit and average quarterly balance in the PNB Vidyarthi SF Account
- All demand drafts made out for any type of fees are free of cost
- Like the children’s account, the child is eligible to receive two chequebooks of 20 leaves each per year
- Most fees and charges in the account have been waived off by the bank through there is an annual maintenance charge for the debit card
Children’s Savings Accounts from Indian Overseas Bank
SB – Little Star Account
The account has been designed for all children – from 1 day old babies to up to 18 year old young adults.
- The account can be opened by any child aged 1 day to less than 18 years
- The minimum balance needed in the account is Rs. 100, while the maximum amount that can be kept is Rs. 50,000
- IOB offers free collection facility for cheques or draft instruments gifted to the child and valued up to Rs. 25,000 per annum
- It also offers a Sweep-In, Sweep-Out facility where any amount in the account in excess of Rs. 10,000 is taken out of the account and turned into fixed deposits of Rs. 2,000 each. If the balance falls below Rs. 10,000 then the most recent fixed deposits are put back in the SB – Little Star Account so the balance is back to being at least Rs. 10,000
- Parents also have the option to invest in other options such as recurring deposits, insurance, mutual funds and so on
- Punjab National Bank Website: www.pnbindia.in and www.netpnb.com (net banking)
- Headquarters: New Delhi, Delhi
- Call Centre Number: 1800 180 2222, 1800 103 2222
- Indian Overseas Bank Website: www.iob.in and www.iobnet.co.in (net banking)
- Headquarters: Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Call Centre Number: 1800 425 4445