Punjab National Bank vs Jammu & Kashmir Bank
Punjab National Bank offers dedicated accounts for kids such as PNB Junior SF Account and the PNB Vidyarthi SF Account. Jammu & Kashmir Bank does not have a specific account for minors and instead provides its savings accounts for minors above the age of 10 years.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Punjab National Bank
PNB is the second largest bank in India after SBI and offers specific accounts for children such as the PNB Junior SF Account and the PNB Vidyarthi SF Account.
PNB Junior SF Account
The account can be opened by a child through her parent or guardian or she can open and operate it herself if she has crossed 10 years of age.
- As mentioned, any child of any age can open the PNB Junior SF Account through her parent or guardian. Children over 10 years of age can open and operate the account under their own name
- There is no minimum deposit needed to open the account. Plus, there is no need for any minimum balance either
- The child can get a free cheque book of 20 leaves per six months, i.e. two chequebooks of 40 leaves per year
- Demand drafts made out to pay school or college fees are free of cost
- The bank, however, has put a limit of Rs. 5,000 on debit card use per day, be that through ATM withdrawals, POS transactions at shops (card swipe in case you are wondering) or online payments
- Kids or their parents can have a view of the account balance and transactions through both online and mobiles but transactions are not allowed
PNB Vidyarthi SF Account
The account as the name suggests is for children studying in recognised educational institutions.
- The account is available for children up to 21 years of age. Once they reach adulthood, the account becomes a standard savings account with all its perks and limitations
- Like the PNB Junior SF Account, there are no minimum balance requirements for initial deposit and average quarterly balance in the PNB Vidyarthi SF Account
- All demand drafts made out for any type of fees are free of cost
- Like the children’s account, the child is eligible to receive two chequebooks of 20 leaves each per year
- Most fees and charges in the account have been waived off by the bank through there is an annual maintenance charge for the debit card
Children’s Savings Accounts from Jammu & Kashmir Bank Limited
Jammu & Kashmir Bank does not have a specific account for minors and provides its savings accounts for minors above the age of 10 years.
General Savings Account
This is the standard savings account of the bank and can be opened by individuals singly or jointly, by HUFs and by minors aged 10 years or above. Even organisations approved by RBI can open an account.
- Accountholders who have a chequebook need to maintain Rs. 2,000 as average monthly balance while those without chequebooks only need to have Rs. 1,000 as average monthly balance
- Minors get their own ATM-debit card
- The bank offers up to 30 free over the counter cash withdrawals for accountholders every 6 months
- The international debit card comes with a limit of Rs. 40,000 for ATM withdrawals and Rs. 1 lakh for POS (card swipe) transactions
- Jammu & Kashmir Bank offers complimentary online and mobile banking facilities for the General Savings Account
- The bank offers a free chequebook of 20 leaves in a year. The number of leaves for senior citizens is 25
Deluxe Savings Account
This is a premium savings account offering from the bank and as with the general account can be opened by individuals, whether singly or jointly, by HUFs, by minors who are 10 years or above in age and by organisations approved by RBI to open a savings account.
- The account requires an average monthly balance of Rs. 5,000
- As with the General account, the Deluxe account provides up to 30 free over the counter cash withdrawals for accountholders every six months
- The debit card comes with a slightly higher ATM withdrawal limit of Rs. 1 lakh and POS (card swipe) transaction limit of Rs. 1.5 lakh
- The Deluxe Savings Account comes with free online and mobile banking facilities
- As with the General Savings Account, the Deluxe account comes with a complimentary chequebook of 20 leaves every year for regular users and of 25 leaves for senior citizens
General Small Account
This account is a type of savings account created to bring the unbanked population into the fold of the banking sector. Literate minors above the age of 10 years can open the account.
- The bank only needs a deposit of Rs. 50 to open the account though
- The General Small Account has a maximum balance limit, however, of Rs. 50,000
- It also comes with a cap on the maximum amount that can be credited in a year. It currently stands at Rs. 1 lakh
- There is limit on number and amount of withdrawals and transfers each month (4 withdrawals and up to Rs. 10,000 in terms of amount)
- The bank offers a chequebook if one maintains a balance of Rs.1,000 per month for at least 6 months
- Punjab National Bank Website: www.pnbindia.in and www.netpnb.com (net banking)
- Headquarters: New Delhi, Delhi
- Call Centre Number: 1800 180 2222, 1800 103 2222
- Jammu & Kashmir Bank Website: www.jkbank.com
- Headquarters: Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir
- Call Centre Number: 1800 1800 234, 1800 1800 234 (E-Banking)