SBI vs Equitas Small Finance Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
SBI offers two children’s savings accounts, Pehla Kadam and Pehli Udaan while Equitas Small Finance Bank does not have a children’s savings account but it is likely that its standard savings accounts are available to minors like other banks.
Children’s Savings Accounts from SBI
This account is meant for all children and may be opened jointly with a parent or guardian.
- There are no minimum balance requirements in this account
- There is a limit of Rs. 5,000 on daily transactions. Transactions such as bill payments, prepaid mobile top-ups have a limit of Rs. 2,000 within the Rs. 5,000 limit
- SBI offers an auto-sweep option with this account called SBI Multi Option Deposit Scheme (MODS). If the accountholders opt for this, then any amount above Rs. 20,000 in the account is put in a term deposit. The MOD is initially for a sum of Rs. 10,000 and in Rs. 1,000 multiples thereafter. As is common for banks, there is no clarity on the website if the auto-sweep facility kicks in if the account has a balance of Rs. 30,000
- There is a cap of Rs. 10 lakh on the maximum balance in a Pehla Kadam account
- The kid is eligible to get a specially branded chequebook and passbook, and also a personalised debit card with her own photo
Note: The links to specific accounts may not work. The above data was taken from internet searches. We have put the links here in the hope that they work some day. Even the WayBack Machine shows an error when we tried to pull a page from July 5, 2017.
The account is meant for kids above 10 years of age. They are allowed to open and operate the account on their own.
- As mentioned, any child above the age of 10 years who can read and write, may open the account in her own name without the need for any parent or guardian
- Except for the age criteria, the other features of the Pehli Udaan account are same as for the Pehla Kadam account
Children’s Savings Accounts from Equitas Small Finance Bank Limited
Equitas Small Finance Bank does not have a children’s savings account but it is likely that its standard savings accounts are available to minors like other banks.
My Savings Account
The account has been designed for people to save and earn interest on their money.
- There is no average quarterly balance requirements for the account
- The accountholder does not get a cheque book with the account
- The interest rates on the account are better than that for larger banks with the minimum interest starting at 5.5% for balance up to Rs. 1 lakh
- The bank however charges a fee for outward remittances on the My Savings Account. NEFT and RTGS are charged on a slab system while IMPS payments are charged a flat fee of Rs. 5 per transaction
Standard Savings Account
The account requires a minimum average quarterly balance or a minimum fixed deposit amount or a minimum level of debit card usage for purchases. Customers can also group the account with family members to tide over these restrictions.
- The minimum average quarterly balance for the account is Rs. 5,000
- Customers can choose to keep a fixed deposit of at least a year of Rs. 50,000 instead of the balance in the account
- The bank also offers the alternative to have the customer spend Rs. 4,999 using the debit card online or at POS transactions instead of the bank balance or a fixed deposit
- The account can be grouped with family members having a savings account or business having a current account of higher value. The minimum balance requirements can be avoided this way
- Accountholders get a Platinum or Signature debit card
- Standard Savings Account holders get a complimentary chequebook of 25 leaves every half year
- The bank offers 5 free transactions across RTGS, NEFT, IMPS, demand drafts, cash or cheques
Regular Savings Account
The Regular Savings Account from Equitas Small Finance Bank is a step up from the Standard Savings Account
- The minimum average quarterly balance for this account is Rs. 10,000
- Like the Standard Account, customers can choose to keep a Rs. 50,000 fixed deposit for at least a year instead of the average quarterly balance in the account
- The minimum debit card spend limit if one chooses to not keep the minimum balance or have an FD with the bank is Rs. 9,999. The limit considers both online and POS transactions
- Like the standard savings account, this one also can be grouped with family members or a business to avoid minimum balance requirements. With family members, the other savings account should have a higher value. With a business, the current account should have at least similar value
- Customers get a Platinum debit card with the account
- Regular Savings Account holders are given a free 25 leaves chequebook every quarter
- The bank offers 8 free transactions across RTGS, NEFT, IMPS, demand drafts, cash or cheques
- State Bank of India Website: https://sbi.co.in and www.onlinesbi.com (net banking)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 425 3800, 1800 112 211, 1800 110 009 (pensioners only)
- Equitas Small Finance Bank Website: www.equitasbank.com
- Headquarters: Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Call Centre Number: 1800 103 1222