State Bank of India vs Utkarsh Small Finance BI Bank
SBI offers two children’s savings accounts, Pehla Kadam and Pehli Udaan while Utkarsh Small Finance offers a single children’s savings account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from SBI
This account is meant for all children and may be opened jointly with a parent or guardian.
- There are no minimum balance requirements in this account
- There is a limit of Rs. 5,000 on daily transactions. Transactions such as bill payments, prepaid mobile top-ups have a limit of Rs. 2,000 within the Rs. 5,000 limit
- SBI offers an auto-sweep option with this account called SBI Multi Option Deposit Scheme (MODS). If the accountholders opt for this, then any amount above Rs. 20,000 in the account is put in a term deposit. The MOD is initially for a sum of Rs. 10,000 and in Rs. 1,000 multiples thereafter. As is common for banks, there is no clarity on the website if the auto-sweep facility kicks in if the account has a balance of Rs. 30,000
- There is a cap of Rs. 10 lakh on the maximum balance in a Pehli Kadam account
- The kid is eligible to get a specially branded chequebook and passbook, and also a personalised debit card with her own photo
Note: The links to specific accounts may not work. The above data was taken from internet searches. We have put the links here in the hope that they work some day. Even the WayBack Machine shows an error when we tried to pull a page from July 5, 2017.
The account is meant for kids above 10 years of age. They are allowed to open and operate the account on their own.
- As mentioned, any child above the age of 10 years who can read and write, may open the account in her own name without the need for any parent or guardian
- Except for the age criteria, the other features of the Pehli Udaan account are same as for the Pehli Kadam account
Children’s Savings Accounts from Utkarsh Small Finance Bank Limited
Utkarsh Small Finance Bank offers a dedicated savings account for children.
Minor Savings Account
The minor account is eligible for all children below the age of 18 years.
- The account has a minimum average quarterly balance requirement of Rs. 5,000 in metro and urban locations and Rs. 1,000 in semi-urban or rural locations
- The bank offers a Classic Rupay Debit Card with the Minor Savings Account
- Accountholders get unlimited free ATM access at both the bank’s own branches or other bank branches
- The ATM withdrawal and POS limits is Rs. 5,000, with a single transaction limit (ATM withdrawal or POS) also set at Rs. 5,000
- Accountholders get a complimentary chequebook of 20 leaves every quarter
- In addition, Utkarsh offers a free SMS facility
- State Bank of India Website: https://sbi.co.in and www.onlinesbi.com (net banking)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 425 3800, 1800 112 211, 1800 110 009 (pensioners only)
- Utkarsh Small Finance Bank Website: www.utkarsh.bank
- Headquarters: Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
- Call Centre Number: 1800 123 9878, 1800 208 1788