Union Bank of India vs Capital Small Finance Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
Union Bank of India does not offer dedicated children’s account but instead offers minors the chance to have an account through its Regular Savings Account and Union Family Savings Scheme products. Capital Small Finance Bank allows kids to open its standard savings account called Normal Savings Account under guardianship.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Union Bank of India
Union Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s account. However, minors can have accounts under its Regular Savings Account and Union Family Savings Scheme products. From a reading of the website, it seems minors can also open an account through parent or guardian under the Union Flexi Savings Deposit and Union Flexi Plus Savings Deposit schemes.
Regular Savings Account
The standard savings account from the bank.
- Can be opened by an individual for her child
- Just like adults, the child is entitled to receive a free chequebook of 20 leaves every year
- Allows students to keep the account with zero balance
Union Family Savings Scheme
A savings scheme under which up to 6 family members can open accounts.
- The average quarterly balance for the entire group is Rs. 1 lakh
- Each account holder gets up to 2 chequebooks per account
- They also can make up to Rs. 20,000 in pay orders or demand drafts each month
- Each account holder can make ATM withdrawal or POS transaction of Rs. 25,000 each per day
- Family members who can be included in the account are parents, grandparents, spouse, sibling and children
Union Flexi Account and Union Flexi Plus Savings Deposit
These two are higher end savings accounts, which also come with sweep facilities to put the excess money in a fixed deposit once the transaction limit crosses a specified limit. Though the Union Bank website does not specifically mention that the accounts are available for minors, it does say that individuals can open the account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Capital Small Finance Bank Limited
Capital Small Finance Bank allows a parent or guardian to open its standard savings account – Normal Savings Account – on behalf of a child.
Normal Savings Account
This is the standard savings account of the bank. We list the features below if you want to open a children’s account with the bank.
- The Normal Savings Account of Capital Small Finance Bank can be opened on behalf of minors by their parent or guardian. Other accountholders have to reach the age of 18 years before they can open an account. So, in all effect, the account opened for minors can be classified as a minor’s account with different set of services than standard accounts
- The minimum balance needed is Rs. 100 in rural areas but without chequebooks. In case a chequebook is needed, the minimum balance needed is Rs. 300. In urban or semi-urban areas it is Rs. 300 without chequebook and Rs. 500 with one
- All other factors are similar to standard savings account
Note: Information on the savings accounts is sketchy and it will be best if you approach the bank to open a minor account. Being a Jalandhar headquartered bank, it may be a good idea to open an account with this bank if you stay in the city or adjoining areas. The bank has a very strong growth strategy and intends to reach over 220 branches by 2021.
- Union Bank of India Website: www.unionbankofindia.co.in and www.unionbankonline.co.in (net banking)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 208 2244, 1800 22 2244
- Capital Small Finance Bank Website: www.capitalbank.co.in
- Headquarters: Jalandhar, Punjab
- Call Centre Number: 1800 120 1600 (8 am ? 8 pm)