Union Bank of India vs RBL Bank
Union Bank of India does not offer dedicated children’s account but instead offers minors the chance to have an account through its Regular Savings Account and Union Family Savings Scheme products. RBL Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s savings bank account but instead may offer its generic savings account under guardianship of a parent or guardian.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Union Bank of India
Union Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s account. However, minors can have accounts under its Regular Savings Account and Union Family Savings Scheme products. From a reading of the website, it seems minors can also open an account through parent or guardian under the Union Flexi Savings Deposit and Union Flexi Plus Savings Deposit schemes.
Regular Savings Account
The standard savings account from the bank.
- Can be opened by an individual for her child
- Just like adults, the child is entitled to receive a free chequebook of 20 leaves every year
- Allows students to keep the account with zero balance
Union Family Savings Scheme
A savings scheme under which up to 6 family members can open accounts.
- The average quarterly balance for the entire group is Rs. 1 lakh
- Each account holder gets up to 2 chequebooks per account
- They also can make up to Rs. 20,000 in pay orders or demand drafts each month
- Each account holder can make ATM withdrawal or POS transaction of Rs. 25,000 each per day
- Family members who can be included in the account are parents, grandparents, spouse, sibling and children
Union Flexi Account and Union Flexi Plus Savings Deposit
These two are higher end savings accounts, which also come with sweep facilities to put the excess money in a fixed deposit once the transaction limit crosses a specified limit. Though the Union Bank website does not specifically mention that the accounts are available for minors, it does say that individuals can open the account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from RBL Bank Limited
RBL Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s savings bank account. We look at it standard savings account that like other banks that do not offer a specific children’s account is likely to be offered to minors through a parent or guardian.
Prime Savings Account
The prime savings account is the standard savings account of the bank and can be opened on behalf of a minor by the parent or guardian.
- The prime savings account is the standard savings account of the bank and comes with a minimum balance requirement of Rs. 5,000. Whether the same balance is required for minor account is not available on the site
- The minor account is closed on the child attaining majority and she has to submit KYC documents along with an account opening form to open a new account
- The account offers unlimited free transactions at RBL Bank ATMs and up to five complimentary transactions at other bank ATMs
- The account offers some of the best fixed deposit rates for banks in India
- RBL Bank offers wealth management options for its Prime Savings Account customers and it is likely to offer wealth growth options for its minor customers also
Note: The RBL Bank site has been designed for the mobile users and information is kept limited to perhaps enhance mobile user experience. It is suggested that you call the bank at the number below or visit the nearest branch if you are looking for more information on children’s or other accounts.
- Union Bank of India Website: www.unionbankofindia.co.in and www.unionbankonline.co.in (net banking)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 208 2244, 1800 22 2244
- RBL Bank Website: www.rblbank.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 123 8040