Andhra Bank vs Bank of Baroda
Andhra Bank offers three children’s savings accounts called AB Kiddy Bank, AB Little Stars and AB Teens while Bank of India has a youth-oriented account called BOI Star Yuva Account.
Let us look at each of these accounts.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Andhra Bank
AB Kiddy Bank
This is the standard savings account for children and is available for all minors below the age of 18 years.
- AB Kiddy Bank account can be opened by any minor up to the age of 18 years
- Kids above the age of 10 years (and below 18) can open and operate the account without the need for an adult guardian if they can produce proof of their date of birth
- Children receive a piggy bank doll on opening the account. This doll can be unlocked only at the branch where the account is held ensuring the money remains safe in the doll
- This AB Kiddy Bank account can be opened with a minimum deposit of Rs. 100
AB Little Stars
This account is meant for children in the 10-15 years age group.
- The account can only be operated by the parent or guardian
- The minimum balance requirement is Rs. 250 for rural and semi-urban branches and Rs. 500 for urban and metropolitan branches
- Andhra Bank issues a passbook with a photo and a special withdrawal booklet with the AB Little Stars account. The parent or guardian can withdraw money for the child on production of the savings banks passbook or any other ID proof
- No NEFT or RTGS withdrawals can be made from the account
This account is for teenagers in the 15-18 years age category. Most features are similar to the Little Stars account.
- The AB Teensaccount can only be operated by the child provided he or she can sign for the account
- The minimum balance requirement is same as Little Stars, i.e. Rs. 250 for rural and semi-urban branches and Rs. 500 for urban and metropolitan ones
- Account holders get the passbook (with photo) and the special withdrawal booklet as with the Little Stars account
- Again, no NEFT or RTGS withdrawals can be made from the account
- The account holder gets a Rupay ATM card with her photo and internet and mobile banking facilities
Children’s Savings Accounts from Bank of India
Bank of India does not have a specific children’s savings account, though it does have an account for the youth called BOI Star Yuva Account. Minors can open a standard savings account.
BOI Star Yuva Account
The account was conceptualised to inculcate saving habits among the youth. The website does not specifically provide a minimum age for account opening but from reading of the features it seems to be young adults aged 18 years or above.
- The minimum quarterly balance requirement is Rs. 2,500 in rural and semi-urban areas and Rs. 5,000 in urban areas and metros
- BOI offers a complimentary insurance of Rs. 50,000 for account holders in the 18-21 years age category and of Rs. 5,00,000 (Rs. 5 lakh) for account holders above 21 years
- The bank also offers reward points for every time the account debit card is used for cash withdrawals in its ATMs. 20 reward points are given at BOI Star Yuva Account opening
Savings Bank Ordinary Account
The account is the standard savings account that can be opened for a minor, usually under joint names.
- Being a nationalised bank, BOI is able to offer its Savings Bank Ordinary Account with considerable low balance requirements. The initial deposit and average quarterly balance is Rs. 500 if the minor / guardian needs a chequebook and Rs. 100 if the account is operated without a chequebook
- The bank offers certain benefits to customers of the savings account. For instance, an online income tax filing facility, free payment of utility bills and a BOI-National Swasthya Bima Policy floater mediclaim policy in collaboration with National Insurance at a low premium. A point to note is that kids usually do not need these services
- Andhra Bank Website: www.andhrabank.in and www.onlineandhrabank.net.in (net banking works only from the main site’s internet login link)
- Headquarters: Hyderabad, Telangana
- Call Centre Toll Free Number: 1800 425 1515
- Bank of India Website: www.bankofindia.co.in
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Toll Free Number: 1800 220 229, 1800 103 1906