Andhra Bank vs Barclays Bank
Andhra Bank offers three children’s savings accounts called AB Kiddy Bank, AB Little Stars and AB Teens while Barclays Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s savings account, even though it is likely that the standard savings accounts can be opened for children jointly with a parent or guardian.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Andhra Bank
AB Kiddy Bank
This is the standard savings account for children and is available for all minors below the age of 18 years.
- AB Kiddy Bank account can be opened by any minor up to the age of 18 years
- Kids above the age of 10 years (and below 18) can open and operate the account without the need for an adult guardian if they can produce proof of their date of birth
- Children receive a piggy bank doll on opening the account. This doll can be unlocked only at the branch where the account is held ensuring the money remains safe in the doll
- This AB Kiddy Bank account can be opened with a minimum deposit of Rs. 100
AB Little Stars
This account is meant for children in the 10-15 years age group.
- The account can only be operated by the parent or guardian
- The minimum balance requirement is Rs. 250 for rural and semi-urban branches and Rs. 500 for urban and metropolitan branches
- Andhra Bank issues a passbook with a photo and a special withdrawal booklet with the AB Little Stars account. The parent or guardian can withdraw money for the child on production of the savings banks passbook or any other ID proof
- No NEFT or RTGS withdrawals can be made from the account
This account is for teenagers in the 15-18 years age category. Most features are similar to the Little Stars account.
- The AB Teensaccount can only be operated by the child provided he or she can sign for the account
- The minimum balance requirement is same as Little Stars, i.e. Rs. 250 for rural and semi-urban branches and Rs. 500 for urban and metropolitan ones
- Account holders get the passbook (with photo) and the special withdrawal booklet as with the Little Stars account
- Again, no NEFT or RTGS withdrawals can be made from the account
- The account holder gets a Rupay ATM card with her photo and internet and mobile banking facilities
Children’s Savings Accounts from Barclays Bank
Barclays Bank does not focus on the retail segment and as such does not offer any specific children’s savings or any other account. The only option for someone who wishes to open a children’s account may be through the savings account. The bank offers 2 types of savings accounts, the Barclays Savings Account and the Basic Savings Bank Deposit Account.
Barclays Savings Account
The account needs an average quarterly balance of Rs. 1 lakh.
- Customer get Classic Debit Card and a chequebook
- The customer can use the debit card for any number of transactions in all VISA ATMs of all banks
- The bank offers free demand drafts that are payable at its branches in the country
- Customer also have a free SMS facility and online banking facilities with their Barclays Savings Account
- Andhra Bank Website: www.andhrabank.in and www.onlineandhrabank.net.in (net banking works only from the main site’s internet login link)
- Headquarters: Hyderabad, Telangana
- Call Centre Toll Free Number: 1800 425 1515
- Barclays Bank Website: www.barclays.in
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: +91 22 6000 1550 (Corporate Banking), +91 22 6000 7888 (Debit Card Lost/Stolen/Damaged)