Andhra Bank vs City Union Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
Andhra Bank offers three children’s savings accounts called AB Kiddy Bank, AB Little Stars and AB Teens while City Union Bank offers a dedicated savings account called Junior India for children.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Andhra Bank
AB Kiddy Bank
This is the standard savings account for children and is available for all minors below the age of 18 years.
- AB Kiddy Bank account can be opened by any minor up to the age of 18 years
- Kids above the age of 10 years (and below 18) can open and operate the account without the need for an adult guardian if they can produce proof of their date of birth
- Children receive a piggy bank doll on opening the account. This doll can be unlocked only at the branch where the account is held ensuring the money remains safe in the doll
- This AB Kiddy Bank account can be opened with a minimum deposit of Rs. 100
AB Little Stars
This account is meant for children in the 10-15 years age group.
- The account can only be operated by the parent or guardian
- The minimum balance requirement is Rs. 250 for rural and semi-urban branches and Rs. 500 for urban and metropolitan branches
- Andhra Bank issues a passbook with a photo and a special withdrawal booklet with the AB Little Stars account. The parent or guardian can withdraw money for the child on production of the savings banks passbook or any other ID proof
- No NEFT or RTGS withdrawals can be made from the account
This account is for teenagers in the 15-18 years age category. Most features are similar to the Little Stars account.
- The AB Teens account can only be operated by the child provided he or she can sign for the account
- The minimum balance requirement is same as Little Stars, i.e. Rs. 250 for rural and semi-urban branches and Rs. 500 for urban and metropolitan ones
- Account holders get the passbook (with photo) and the special withdrawal booklet as with the Little Stars account
- Again, no NEFT or RTGS withdrawals can be made from the account
- The account holder gets a Rupay ATM card with her photo and internet and mobile banking facilities
Children’s Savings Accounts from City Union Bank Limited
Tamil Nadu-headquartered City Union Bank is the oldest private sector bank in the country having been established in 1904. It offers a dedicated savings account for children called Junior India. It also offers an account for young adults between the ages of 18 and 25 years called Young India.
The account can be opened for children with ages ranging from 1 day to 18 years
- The account is operated by the parent or guardian
- Children above the age of 12 years can undertake transactions at the bank or through ATMs on their own
- Account holders above 12 years also get access to internet banking (CUB Net) and mobile banking (CUB Mobile) facilities
- School and college fees can be made free of cost under the Junior India account
- Online transfer to other City Union Bank accounts through NEFT, RTGS or IMPS is free too
- The standard KYC documents and proofs are needed for both the child and the parent or guardian to open the account
- Andhra Bank Website: www.andhrabank.in and www.onlineandhrabank.net.in (net banking works only from the main site’s internet login link)
- Headquarters: Hyderabad, Telangana
- Call Centre Toll-Free Number: 1800 425 1515
- City Union Bank Website: www.cityunionbank.com
- Headquarters: Kumbakonam, Tamil Nadu
- Call Centre Number: 044 7122 5000