Andhra Bank vs IDFC First Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
Andhra Bank offers three children’s savings accounts called AB Kiddy Bank, AB Little Stars and AB Teens while IDFC First Bank offers a dedicated savings bank product for children called the Minor’s Savings Account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Andhra Bank
AB Kiddy Bank
This is the standard savings account for children and is available for all minors below the age of 18 years.
- AB Kiddy Bank account can be opened by any minor up to the age of 18 years
- Kids above the age of 10 years (and below 18) can open and operate the account without the need for an adult guardian if they can produce proof of their date of birth
- Children receive a piggy bank doll on opening the account. This doll can be unlocked only at the branch where the account is held ensuring the money remains safe in the doll
- This AB Kiddy Bank account can be opened with a minimum deposit of Rs. 100
AB Little Stars
This account is meant for children in the 10-15 years age group.
- The account can only be operated by the parent or guardian
- The minimum balance requirement is Rs. 250 for rural and semi-urban branches and Rs. 500 for urban and metropolitan branches
- Andhra Bank issues a passbook with a photo and a special withdrawal booklet with the AB Little Stars account. The parent or guardian can withdraw money for the child on production of the savings banks passbook or any other ID proof
- No NEFT or RTGS withdrawals can be made from the account
This account is for teenagers in the 15-18 years age category. Most features are similar to the Little Stars account.
- The AB Teens account can only be operated by the child provided he or she can sign for the account
- The minimum balance requirement is same as Little Stars, i.e. Rs. 250 for rural and semi-urban branches and Rs. 500 for urban and metropolitan ones
- Account holders get the passbook (with photo) and the special withdrawal booklet as with the Little Stars account
- Again, no NEFT or RTGS withdrawals can be made from the account
- The account holder gets a Rupay ATM card with her photo and internet and mobile banking facilities
Children’s Savings Accounts from IDFC First Bank Limited
IDFC First Bank offers a dedicated savings bank product for children called the Minor’s Savings Account.
Minor’s Savings Account
The account is available to all children below 18 years of age provided the parent or guardian has an account with the bank.
- Children accountholders above 10 years of age can open and operate the account in their own name
- The bank requires a minimum deposit of Rs. 25,000 at the time of opening the account
- There is no obligation to keep a minimum balance but there is a mandatory stipulation under which a sum of Rs. 2,000 per month must be transferred for a period of 2 years from the parent’s account to the child’s account
- A debit card is only provided if it is opted for. Plus, the Minor’s Savings Account comes with specific limits of Rs. 10,000 each at domestic ATMs and POS sales
- The account comes with a sweep facility under which when the account balance crosses Rs. 15,000, the balance over and above Rs. 10,000 is transferred into a fixed deposit with a tenure of one year and one day
- Andhra Bank Website: www.andhrabank.in and www.onlineandhrabank.net.in (net banking works only from the main site’s internet login link)
- Headquarters: Hyderabad, Telangana
- Call Centre Toll-Free Number: 1800 425 1515
- IDFC Bank Website: www.idfcbank.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 419 4332