Andhra Bank vs Karur Vysya Bank
Andhra Bank offers three children’s savings accounts called AB Kiddy Bank, AB Little Stars and AB Teens. Karur Vysya Bank meanwhile offers two dedicated accounts for children called the Jumbo Kids Savings Account and the Student Savings Account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Andhra Bank
AB Kiddy Bank
This is the standard savings account for children and is available for all minors below the age of 18 years.
- AB Kiddy Bank account can be opened by any minor up to the age of 18 years
- Kids above the age of 10 years (and below 18) can open and operate the account without the need for an adult guardian if they can produce proof of their date of birth
- Children receive a piggy bank doll on opening the account. This doll can be unlocked only at the branch where the account is held ensuring the money remains safe in the doll
- This AB Kiddy Bank account can be opened with a minimum deposit of Rs. 100
AB Little Stars
This account is meant for children in the 10-15 years age group.
- The account can only be operated by the parent or guardian
- The minimum balance requirement is Rs. 250 for rural and semi-urban branches and Rs. 500 for urban and metropolitan branches
- Andhra Bank issues a passbook with a photo and a special withdrawal booklet with the AB Little Stars account. The parent or guardian can withdraw money for the child on production of the savings banks passbook or any other ID proof
- No NEFT or RTGS withdrawals can be made from the account
This account is for teenagers in the 15-18 years age category. Most features are similar to the Little Stars account.
- The AB Teensaccount can only be operated by the child provided he or she can sign for the account
- The minimum balance requirement is same as Little Stars, i.e. Rs. 250 for rural and semi-urban branches and Rs. 500 for urban and metropolitan ones
- Account holders get the passbook (with photo) and the special withdrawal booklet as with the Little Stars account
- Again, no NEFT or RTGS withdrawals can be made from the account
- The account holder gets a Rupay ATM card with her photo and internet and mobile banking facilities
Children’s Savings Accounts from Karur Vysya Bank Limited
Karur Vysya Bank offers two dedicated accounts for children called the Jumbo Kids Savings Account and the Student Savings Account.
Jumbo Kids Savings Account
Unlike most other banks that offer children’s accounts for kids up to the age of 18 years or more, Karur Vysya offers this account for children below the age of 12 years. This by itself is something that makes this account special. Let us look at features too.
- The account is available for children up to the age of 12 years (we are repeating what we have written above but we like what the bank has done and so there)
- There is no minimum balance requirement
- The account is in the name of the child though the authorised signatory is the guardian
- All cash withdrawals are to be done through the ATM and the bank offers a Visa ATM card for that purpose
- One can send or use (remittance is the word used on the bank website) up to Rs. 50,000 per day at the branch
- Children who open a Jumbo Kids Savings Account get a Jumbo (elephant) Doll
- The account does not come with a chequebook and neither does it have online or mobile banking facilities
Student Savings Account
The second account offered by the bank for children. It is meant for kids who have go to school or college and offers facilities that are meant to help children with school fees and other education-related payments.
- The account can be opened by kids below 12 years of age through a guardian, while they can open and operate one on their own if they have reached the age of 12 years
- The maximum age limit up to which one can have the account is 29 years
- The ATM debit card can be used for cash withdrawals for free at Karur Vysya ATMs and up to 5 times for free at other ATMs of banks that belong to the National Financial Switch. There is an annual maintenance charge of Rs. 75 on the card
- The chequebook is only offered to students after they have crossed 18 years of age
- There is no limit on cash remittance at the base branch though it is capped at Rs. 10,000 at non-base branches for the Student Savings Account
- An important thing to note here is that the total number of debit transactions on the account and any other linked accounts for the same person cannot be more than 90 for every six months
- Andhra Bank Website: www.andhrabank.in and www.onlineandhrabank.net.in (net banking works only from the main site’s internet login link)
- Headquarters: Hyderabad, Telangana
- Call Centre Toll Free Number: 1800 425 1515
- Karur Vysya Bank Website: www.kvb.co.in and www.kvbin.com (net banking)
- Headquarters: Karur, Tamil Nadu
- Call Centre Number: 1860 200 1916