Andhra Bank vs Suryoday Small Finance Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
Andhra Bank offers three children’s savings accounts called AB Kiddy Bank, AB Little Stars and AB Teens while Suryoday Small Finance Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s account but instead offers minors the option to open a standard savings account as a minor account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Andhra Bank
AB Kiddy Bank
This is the standard savings account for children and is available for all minors below the age of 18 years.
- AB Kiddy Bank account can be opened by any minor up to the age of 18 years
- Kids above the age of 10 years (and below 18) can open and operate the account without the need for an adult guardian if they can produce proof of their date of birth
- Children receive a piggy bank doll on opening the account. This doll can be unlocked only at the branch where the account is held ensuring the money remains safe in the doll
- This AB Kiddy Bank account can be opened with a minimum deposit of Rs. 100
AB Little Stars
This account is meant for children in the 10-15 years age group.
- The account can only be operated by the parent or guardian
- The minimum balance requirement is Rs. 250 for rural and semi-urban branches and Rs. 500 for urban and metropolitan branches
- Andhra Bank issues a passbook with a photo and a special withdrawal booklet with the AB Little Stars account. The parent or guardian can withdraw money for the child on production of the savings banks passbook or any other ID proof
- No NEFT or RTGS withdrawals can be made from the account
This account is for teenagers in the 15-18 years age category. Most features are similar to the Little Stars account.
- The AB Teens account can only be operated by the child provided he or she can sign for the account
- The minimum balance requirement is same as Little Stars, i.e. Rs. 250 for rural and semi-urban branches and Rs. 500 for urban and metropolitan ones
- Account holders get the passbook (with photo) and the special withdrawal booklet as with the Little Stars account
- Again, no NEFT or RTGS withdrawals can be made from the account
- The account holder gets a Rupay ATM card with her photo and internet and mobile banking facilities
Children’s Savings Accounts from Suryoday Small Finance Bank Limited
Suryoday Small Finance Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s account and offers minors the option to open a standard savings account as a minor account. All of the bank’s savings accounts can be opened by a minor under a parent or a guardian. We take a look at the two base variants of the bank’s savings account line-up.
The account is the most basic of the savings accounts offered by Suryoday.
- The average monthly balance requirement is Rs. 2,000, though anyone choosing to open an account has to start with an initial deposit of Rs. 3,000
- Accountholders can choose to keep a fixed deposit of Rs. 10,000 in lieu of the minimum balance
- The bank offers a higher rate of interest than most other banks for similar slabs of balance. Accounts with balance up to Rs. 1 lakh earn 6.25% per annum and those with balance between Rs. lakh and Rs. 10 lakh earn 7.25%. This is as of March 2019
- The Savings Ujjwal account comes with a RuPay Classic Secure Chip Debit Card
- The daily ATM and POS limits is restricted to Rs. 20,000
- Online money transfers such as RTGS, NEFT, IMPS are chargeable after 3 transactions
- The bank offers a personal accident insurance cover of Rs. 1 lakh with the account
This savings account is ranked one step up the Savings Ujjwal.
- The account has a minimum average monthly balance of Rs. 5,000 and needs Rs. 7,500 to open the account
- Accountholders can create and keep an FD of Rs. 25,000 if they want to forego the minimum balance requirements
- The Savings Aditya account also comes with a RuPay Classic Secure Chip Debit Card
- The limit on daily ATM and POS transaction is pegged at Rs. 40,000
- Accountholders get 10 free ATM transactions on the bank’s own ATMs and up to 5 on other bank ATMs
- The accountholder can access up to 10 free RTGS, NEFT or IMPS payment transfers
- Like with the Ujjwal account, the Aditya offers a higher rate of interest
Note: Suryoday in its savings account page/tabs for each account clearly mentions that all bank’s savings accounts from Ujjwal to Savings Supreme can be opened on behalf of a minor
- Andhra Bank Website: www.andhrabank.in and www.onlineandhrabank.net.in (net banking works only from the main site’s internet login link)
- Headquarters: Hyderabad, Telangana
- Call Centre Toll-Free Number: 1800 425 1515
- Suryoday Small Finance Bank Website: www.suryodaybank.com
- Headquarters: Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 266 7711