Axis Bank vs Kotak Mahindra Bank
Axis Bank offers an account called the Future Stars Savings Account. Kotak Mahindra Bank offers a dedicated account called Junior – The Savings Account for Kids.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Axis Bank
The third largest private sector bank in India, Axis Bank, offers a specific children’s account called Future Stars Savings Account. It also offered an account targeted at the youth called the YOUth Account but the bank has stopped opening these accounts (existing accounts will continue to work).
Future Stars Savings Account
An account meant for children up to 18 years of age.
- The initial account opening deposit and minimum monthly balance requirement are both Rs. 2,500 in metros. There is no monthly balance requirement if there is a fixed deposit of Rs. 25,000 for six months or a recurring deposit of Rs. 2,000 for a year
- Can be opened by a child on her own if she has crossed the age of 10 years. Otherwise, it needs to be operated by the parent or guardian
- The child gets four cheque books every year in her own name if she is over 10 years of age. In case she is younger than 10 years, the cheque book is in the name of the parent or guardian
- Accountholders get a Visa Classic Debit Card for an issuance fee of Rs. 200 and annual fee of Rs. 100. The fee is for metro and urban areas only
- The card comes with a personalised image of the child if she is above 10 years
- The bank offers a daily withdrawal limit of Rs. 1,500 under the Future Stars Savings Account
- The first five transactions at an Axis Bank ATM and the first three or five (depending on whether metro or non-metro location) at non-Axis Bank ATMs are free
- The account comes with a personal accident cover of Rs. 2 lakh and liability from fraudulent transactions of up to Rs. 50,000
- The bank offers reward points on various transactions such as opening an Axis Direct (trading) account, keeping Rs. 25,000 as minimum monthly balance and so on
Children’s Savings Accounts from Kotak Mahindra Bank
Kotak Mahindra Bank offers a children-focussed account called Junior – The Savings Account for Kids. Here is a look at some features of the account.
Junior – The Savings Account for Kids
The account comes in two variants, the standalone account and a bundle pack that includes the Junior Savings Account and a Guardian Savings Account.
- The account offers one of the higher interest rates for children’s accounts at 5% (as of November 2018)
- Bundled plan accountholders get access to a Recurring Deposit (RD) or a Systematic Investment Plan (SIP). The RD starts from as little as Rs. 2,000 and tenures that start from 36 months, while in the case of SIP the guardian can choose the amount and tenure
- The standalone Junior Account comes in different variants such as Platina, Ace, Pro, Classic, Edge and Nova. The distinction between these is the minimum balance required in the account and the customer segment to which the account is offered. For instance, the Platina account is a continuation of a portfolio of plans that Kotak Mahindra Bank acquired from its purchase of ING Vysya, while the Classic account is targeted at semi-urban and rural areas, and so on
- There is no minimum balance requirement for bundled Nova accounts provided they have an RD or a SIP in place. Otherwise, an average monthly balance of Rs. 5,000 is needed for Junior accounts. For non-junior accounts, the average monthly balance required is Rs. 5,000 (Nova), Rs. 10,000 (Edge and Classic), Rs. 50,000 (Ace) and Rs. 1 lakh (Platina)
- The charges for non-maintenance of the average balance ranges from Rs. 150 to Rs. 600 per month depending on the balance and the type of account.
- The Junior Savings Account offers personalised debit cards with daily withdrawal limits of Rs. 5,000 for kids above 10 years of age
- The bank offers certain children-centric privileges such as Junior Foodie, Junior Day Out, Junior Shopper, Junior Learner and Junior Angel
- Axis Bank Website: www.axisbank.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 419 5959,1800419 6969
- Kotak Mahindra Bank Website: www.kotak.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1860-266-2666, 1860-266-0811 (for 811 Digital Bank Customers)