Bandhan Bank vs Bank of Maharashtra: Children’s Savings Accounts
Bandhan Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s savings account but it does offer its standard savings account to minors. Bank of Maharashtra has Mahabank – Yuva Yojana for children in the 10-18 years age group. This is a savings cum investment account as a child can open a savings account and invest in recurring deposits and fixed deposits.
Let us look at each of these accounts.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Bandhan Bank
Bandhan Bank is one of the most promising upcoming banks in India but it does not provide a dedicated children’s savings account. However, from a perusal of the account opening form, it appears the bank allows individuals to open and operate minor accounts. It also offers the option for minors above 10 years of age to open and maintain the account under their own name.
Standard Savings Account
Since it does not offer a dedicated children’s account (from a reading of the accounts in the bank’s website), here is a look at some features of the bank’s standard savings account.
- The account holder needs a monthly average balance of Rs. 5,000
- One can deposit up to Rs. 5 lakh for free per month
- Offers chequebook of 20 leaves per month for free which is more than the usual practice of offering one every quarter by most banks
- Offers 5 free withdrawals at ATMs of other banks
Children’s Savings Accounts from Bank of Maharashtra
Mahabank – Yuva Yojana
Bank of Maharashtra offers the Mahabank – Yuva Yojana as a comprehensive solution to take care of the savings needs and expenses of young children.
- Under this, children can open savings accounts and invest in recurring deposits and fixed deposits
- The savings account has no minimum balance requirements and can be opened with only Rs. 10
- Children do not get any chequebook until they are over 18 years, but by then the account becomes a standard savings account with minimum balance requirements and other terms and conditions that apply to the standard account
- The Mahabank – Yuva Yojana account comes with a free debit card but with specified spending limits
- Account holders can put in standing instructions to transfer money from their accounts to their recurring deposit. In addition, parents can put in standing instructions to put in money from their account to the child’s account
- Bank of Maharashtra also sanctions education loans to deserving students at the time to admission if they have held the account for over 6 months
The bank also allows parents and guardians to open a savings account jointly with a minor child.
- The minimum average balance requirements for the Mahabank – Savings Bank Scheme are calculated on a monthly basis. Service charges are applicable if the balance is less
- The documents needed to open the account (besides the application, of course) are an ID proof, an address proof, two passport-sized photographs and the PAN card or Form 60/61
- Interest is calculated on the daily balance on a quarterly basis
- Bandhan Bank Website: www.bandhanbank.com
- Headquarters: Kolkata, West Bengal
- Call Centre Number: 1800 258 8181
- Bank of Maharashtra Website: www.bankofmaharashtra.in and https://www.mahaconnect.in/jsp/index.html (net banking)
- Headquarters: Pune, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Toll-Free Number: 1800 233 4526, 1800 102 2636