Bandhan Bank vs Karur Vysya Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
Bandhan Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s savings account but it does offer its standard savings account to minors. Karur Vysya Bank meanwhile offers two dedicated accounts for children called the Jumbo Kids Savings Account and the Student Savings Account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Bandhan Bank
Bandhan Bank is one of the most promising upcoming banks in India but it does not provide a dedicated children’s savings account. However, from a perusal of the account opening form, it appears the bank allows individuals to open and operate minor accounts. It also offers the option for minors above 10 years of age to open and maintain the account under their own name.
Standard Savings Account
Since it does not offer a dedicated children’s account (from a reading of the accounts in the bank’s website), here is a look at some features of the bank’s standard savings account.
- The account holder needs a monthly average balance of Rs. 5,000
- One can deposit up to Rs. 5 lakh for free per month
- Offers chequebook of 20 leaves per month for free which is more than the usual practice of offering one every quarter by most banks
- Offers 5 free withdrawals at ATMs of other banks
Children’s Savings Accounts from Karur Vysya Bank
Karur Vysya Bank offers two dedicated accounts for children called the Jumbo Kids Savings Account and the Student Savings Account.
Jumbo Kids Savings Account
Unlike most other banks that offer children’s accounts for kids up to the age of 18 years or more, Karur Vysya offers this account for children below the age of 12 years. This by itself is something that makes this account special. Let us look at features too.
- The account is available for children up to the age of 12 years (we are repeating what we have written above but we like what the bank has done and so there)
- There is no minimum balance requirement
- The account is in the name of the child though the authorised signatory is the guardian
- All cash withdrawals are to be done through the ATM and the bank offers a Visa ATM card for that purpose
- One can send or use (remittance is the word used on the bank website) up to Rs. 50,000 per day at the branch
- Children who open a Jumbo Kids Savings Account get a Jumbo (elephant) Doll
- The account does not come with a chequebook and neither does it have online or mobile banking facilities
Student Savings Account
The second account offered by the bank for children. It is meant for kids who have go to school or college and offers facilities that are meant to help children with school fees and other education-related payments.
- The account can be opened by kids below 12 years of age through a guardian, while they can open and operate one on their own if they have reached the age of 12 years
- The maximum age limit up to which one can have the account is 29 years
- The ATM debit card can be used for cash withdrawals for free at Karur Vysya ATMs and up to 5 times for free at other ATMs of banks that belong to the National Financial Switch. There is an annual maintenance charge of Rs. 75 on the card
- The chequebook is only offered to students after they have crossed 18 years of age
- There is no limit on cash remittance at the base branch though it is capped at Rs. 10,000 at non-base branches for the Student Savings Account
- An important thing to note here is that the total number of debit transactions on the account and any other linked accounts for the same person cannot be more than 90 for every six months
- Bandhan Bank Website: www.bandhanbank.com
- Headquarters: Kolkata, West Bengal
- Call Centre Number: 1800 258 8181
- Karur Vysya Bank Website: www.kvb.co.in and www.kvbin.com (net banking)
- Headquarters: Karur, Tamil Nadu
- Call Centre Number: 1860 200 1916