Bank of Baroda website shows two children-focussed savings accounts, Baroda Champ Savings Account that is offered across India and the Gen-Next Junior account which as of now seems to be offered only in the Gen-Next Pune branch of the bank.
Note: There is limited information on BoB accounts for minors and it seems it did not offer a dedicated children’s account before the Champ and Gen-Next accounts. Possibly, minors could open a standard savings account through a parent or guardian.
Baroda Champ Savings Account
This account is meant for children in the 10-18 years age category. The account was launched in the run-up to the FIFA Under-17 World Cup 2017 that was hosted in India.
- Minors can open the Baroda Champ Savings Account with a minimum deposit of Rs. 1,000
- The debit card for the account will be issued in the name of the parent or guardian for kids in the 10-15 years age group. For children over 15 years, it will be in their own name and will have a FIFA logo
- The transaction limit is restricted to Rs. 3,000 per day through ATM banking, mobile banking, POS and e-commerce though the overall limit is kept at Rs. 5,000 per day. This means you can go to the branch and withdraw Rs. 2,000 even if you have used up Rs. 3,000 limit
From the bank?s website, it seems the account is only offered the Gen-Next branch in Pune, Maharashtra.
- Minors up to 18 years can open this Gen-Next Junior account
- The average quarterly balance required is Rs. 500 and the bank charges Rs. 50 per quarter if the balance falls below this limit
- Children below 10 years can open the account jointly with parents or guardians; those above 10 years can have an account in their own name provided they are literate
- There is a ceiling on of Rs. 1,00,000 as balance outstanding on any day if the minor holds the account in her own name. In case the account is held jointly by a minor of 14 years or above and the parent or guardian, then there is no such limit
- Debit cards will have the parent?s or guardian?s name if the child is below 15 years; if above, then the kid?s name will be on the card
- The rules for a standard savings account will apply for this account also
Bank of Baroda Savings Account
The standard savings account of the bank.
- The bank has a put an upper limit of Rs. 1,00,000 as the maximum limit outstanding on any day if a minor, aged 10-14 years, operates the account on her own
- The minimum balance requirement is Rs. 500 for rural and semi-urban areas and Rs. 1,000 for urban areas and metros
Note: We are not getting into too much details here about the savings account. If you wish to know more of the features, you can visit the specific page of the bank website here.
- Bank of Baroda Website: bankofbaroda.com
- Headquarters: Baroda (Vadodara), Gujarat
- Call Centre Toll Free Number: 1800 223 344, 1800 102 4455