Bank of India vs Tamilnad Mercantile Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
Bank of India has a youth-oriented account called BOI Star Yuva Account while Tamilnad Mercantile Bank provides a dedicated savings account for children called the Little Super Star Savings Account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Bank of India
Bank of India does not have a specific children’s savings account, though it does have an account for the youth called BOI Star Yuva Account. Minors can open a standard savings account.
BOI Star Yuva Account
The account was conceptualised to inculcate saving habits among the youth. The website does not specifically provide a minimum age for account opening but from reading of the features it seems to be young adults aged 18 years or above.
- The minimum quarterly balance requirement is Rs. 2,500 in rural and semi-urban areas and Rs. 5,000 in urban areas and metros
- BOI offers a complimentary insurance of Rs. 50,000 for account holders in the 18-21 years age category and of Rs. 5,00,000 (Rs. 5 lakh) for account holders above 21 years
- The bank also offers reward points for every time the account debit card is used for cash withdrawals in its ATMs. 20 reward points are given at BOI Star Yuva Account opening
Savings Bank Ordinary Account
The account is the standard savings account that can be opened for a minor, usually under joint names.
- Being a nationalised bank, BOI is able to offer its Savings Bank Ordinary Account with considerable low balance requirements. The initial deposit and average quarterly balance is Rs. 500 if the minor / guardian needs a chequebook and Rs. 100 if the account is operated without a chequebook
- The bank offers certain benefits to customers of the savings account. For instance, an online income tax filing facility, free payment of utility bills and a BOI-National Swasthya Bima Policy floater mediclaim policy in collaboration with National Insurance at a low premium. A point to note is that kids usually do not need these services
Children’s Savings Accounts from Tamilnad Mercantile Bank Limited
Tamilnad Mercantile Bank provides a dedicated savings account for children called the Little Super Star Savings Account.
Little Super Star Savings Account
Meant exclusively for kids in the 10-18 years age group, the account has been designed to habituate children to saving money.
- Accountholders can withdraw up to Rs. 5,000 per day through ATMs. Guardians are given the right to lower this amount up to Rs. 1,000 if she so deems fit. The POS limit is capped at Rs. 2,500
- Tamilnad Mercantile Bank offers up to 10 complimentary ATM withdrawals and charges Rs. 10 for each withdrawal thereafter
- The maximum amount that can be put in the account or taken out per month is limited to Rs. 1 lakh
- The account needs a minimum average balance of Rs. 250. The bank limits the number of facilities it provides if this minimum balance is not maintained
- The ATM-debit card is offered free with the account
- Accountholders get complimentary personalised chequebook of 10 leaves every year
- One of the unique features of this account is that the bank has allowed both internet banking and mobile banking though the limit has been capped at Rs. 2,500
- The minor has to change the Little Super Star Savings Account into any of the standard accounts offered by the bank after she attains majority
- Kids with the account are allowed to be a part of the bank’s Happy Family Banking Account scheme if their other family members also bank with Tamilnad Mercantile Bank
- Bank of India Website: www.bankofindia.co.in
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Toll-Free Number: 1800 220 229, 1800 103 1906
- Tamilnad Mercantile Bank Website: www.tmb.in
- Headquarters: Tuticorin, Tamil Nadu
- Call Centre Number: 1800 425 0426