Bank of India vs UCO Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
Bank of India has a youth-oriented account called BOI Star Yuva Account while UCO Bank offers its UCO Smart Kids Savings Bank Scheme for children above 10 years of age.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Bank of India
Bank of India does not have a specific children’s savings account, though it does have an account for the youth called BOI Star Yuva Account. Minors can open a standard savings account.
BOI Star Yuva Account
The account was conceptualised to inculcate saving habits among the youth. The website does not specifically provide a minimum age for account opening but from reading of the features it seems to be young adults aged 18 years or above.
- The minimum quarterly balance requirement is Rs. 2,500 in rural and semi-urban areas and Rs. 5,000 in urban areas and metros
- BOI offers a complimentary insurance of Rs. 50,000 for account holders in the 18-21 years age category and of Rs. 5,00,000 (Rs. 5 lakh) for account holders above 21 years
- The bank also offers reward points for every time the account debit card is used for cash withdrawals in its ATMs. 20 reward points are given at BOI Star Yuva Account opening
Savings Bank Ordinary Account
The account is the standard savings account that can be opened for a minor, usually under joint names.
- Being a nationalised bank, BOI is able to offer its Savings Bank Ordinary Account with considerable low balance requirements. The initial deposit and average quarterly balance is Rs. 500 if the minor / guardian needs a chequebook and Rs. 100 if the account is operated without a chequebook
- The bank offers certain benefits to customers of the savings account. For instance, an online income tax filing facility, free payment of utility bills and a BOI-National Swasthya Bima Policy floater mediclaim policy in collaboration with National Insurance at a low premium. A point to note is that kids usually do not need these services
Children’s Savings Accounts from UCO Bank
The bank offers the UCO Smart Kids Savings Bank Scheme for children above the age of 10 years.
UCO Smart Kids Savings Bank Scheme
The account allows kids to open and run a savings account without any need for joint ownership with parents or guardians.
- Any literate child above the age of 10 years can open and operate the account
- There is no minimum balance requirement
- The kids get two chequebooks a year
- The ATM card is personalised with a photograph. Kids also get a good looking passbook
- Children can withdraw up to Rs. 3,000 per day subject to a limit of Rs. 15,000 per month through ATMs or net banking
- A key benefit of this UCO Smart Kids Savings Bank Scheme is the ability for children to undertake transactions through net banking after a certain period of time
- The bank also offers concessions for education loans
- Bank of India Website: www.bankofindia.co.in
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Toll-Free Number: 1800 220 229, 1800 103 1906
- UCO Bank Website: www.ucobank.com and www.ucoebanking.com (net banking)
- Headquarters: Kolkata, West Bengal
- Call Centre Number: 1800 274 0123