Bank of Maharashtra vs DCB Bank
Bank of Maharashtra has Mahabank – Yuva Yojana for children in the 10-18 years age group. This is a savings cum investment account as a child can open a savings account and invest in recurring deposits and fixed deposits. DCB Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s account but instead offers its Classic savings account for children through parents or guardians.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Bank of Maharashtra
Mahabank – Yuva Yojana
Bank of Maharashtra offers the Mahabank – Yuva Yojana as a comprehensive solution to take care of the savings needs and expenses of young children.
- Under this, children can open savings accounts and invest in recurring deposits and fixed deposits
- The savings account has no minimum balance requirements and can be opened with only Rs. 10
- Children do not get any chequebook until they are over 18 years, but by then the account becomes a standard savings account with minimum balance requirements and other terms and conditions that apply to the standard account
- The Mahabank – Yuva Yojana account comes with a free debit card but with specified spending limits
- Account holders can put in standing instructions to transfer money from their accounts to their recurring deposit. In addition, parents can put in standing instructions to put in money from their account to the child’s account
- Bank of Maharashtra also sanctions education loans to deserving students at the time to admission if they have held the account for over 6 months
The bank also allows parents and guardians to open a savings account jointly with a minor child.
- The minimum average balance requirements for the Mahabank – Savings Bank Scheme are calculated on a monthly basis. Service charges are applicable if the balance is less
- The documents needed to open the account (besides the application, of course) are an ID proof, an address proof, two passport-sized photographs and the PAN card or Form 60/61
- Interest is calculated on the daily balance on a quarterly basis
Children’s Savings Accounts from DCB Bank Limited
DCB Bank, known previously as Development Credit Bank, does not offer a dedicated children’s account though its Classic account may be available for children through their parents or guardian.
Classic Savings Bank Account
This is the standard savings bank account from the bank.
- Accountholders need to maintain a minimum balance of Rs. 5,000 for Tier I branches and Rs. 2,500 for Tier 2 branches. This amount may be less for accounts opened on behalf of minors. Details of the same are not provided clearly on the bank website and as with such instances it may be a good idea to call and ask customer care at the numbers below
- The Classic Savings Bank Account offers payable at par cheque book
- Accountholders also get unlimited free access to all the bank’s ATMs and Visa ATMs in India, provided the account has an average monthly balance of Rs.10,000
- One of the key features seems to be free unlimited use of online transfers through RTGS and NEFT
- Account holders also get complimentary internet, phone and mobile banking facilities, through the access is likely to be limited for the child directly unless they have reached a certain age, as happens with most banks
- Bank of Maharashtra Website: www.bankofmaharashtra.in and https://www.mahaconnect.in/jsp/index.html (net banking)
- Headquarters: Pune, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Toll Free Number: 1800 233 4526, 1800 102 2636
- DCB Bank Website: www.dcbbank.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 209 5363, 1800 123 5363