Bank of Maharashtra vs IDBI Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
Bank of Maharashtra has Mahabank – Yuva Yojana for children in the 10-18 years age group. This is a savings cum investment account as a child can open a savings account and invest in recurring deposits and fixed deposits. IDBI Bank offers two accounts called Power Kidz Account and Being Me.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Bank of Maharashtra
Mahabank – Yuva Yojana
Bank of Maharashtra offers the Mahabank – Yuva Yojana as a comprehensive solution to take care of the savings needs and expenses of young children.
- Under this, children can open savings accounts and invest in recurring deposits and fixed deposits
- The savings account has no minimum balance requirements and can be opened with only Rs. 10
- Children do not get any chequebook until they are over 18 years, but by then the account becomes a standard savings account with minimum balance requirements and other terms and conditions that apply to the standard account
- The Mahabank – Yuva Yojana account comes with a free debit card but with specified spending limits
- Account holders can put in standing instructions to transfer money from their accounts to their recurring deposit. In addition, parents can put in standing instructions to put in money from their account to the child’s account
- Bank of Maharashtra also sanctions education loans to deserving students at the time to admission if they have held the account for over 6 months
The bank also allows parents and guardians to open a savings account jointly with a minor child.
- The minimum average balance requirements for the Mahabank – Savings Bank Scheme are calculated on a monthly basis. Service charges are applicable if the balance is less
- The documents needed to open the account (besides the application, of course) are an ID proof, an address proof, two passport-sized photographs and the PAN card or Form 60/61
- Interest is calculated on the daily balance on a quarterly basis
Children’s Savings Accounts from IDBI Bank Limited
IDBI Bank offers the Power Kidz Account for children. It also has a savings account targeted at the youth called the IDBI Being Me Account.
Power Kidz Account
From a reading of the website, it seems the account is not meant for kids below 10 years of age.
- Can be opened by a minor in her own name if she is over 10 years of age, or by the parent or guardian in case she is below that age
- The minimum average balance in the account is Rs. 500 but there are no charges if the minimum balance criterion is not met
- Kids above 10 years who have opened the Power Kidz Account in their own name will get an exclusively designed debit card with their name
- The bank gives a personalised chequebook to the child
- The ATM withdrawal or POS transaction limit is Rs. 2,000
- The bank offers up to 5 free transactions at non-IDBI Bank ATMs in non-metro locations
Being Me Account
A savings account designed to help the youth cultivate financial common sense.
- There are no details on the site on minimum or maximum age to open and operate the account
- A minimum amount of Rs. 2,500 is needed to open the account
- The daily limit for ATM transactions and merchant (POS) purchases is Rs. 25,000 for the Being Me Account
- The bank offers preferential rates on educational loans and gives preference to account holders to take up educational project work at the bank, provided there are seats available
- It even gives discounts on opening share trading accounts with IDBI Capital Markets & Securities
- Bank of Maharashtra Website: www.bankofmaharashtra.in and https://www.mahaconnect.in/jsp/index.html (net banking)
- Headquarters: Pune, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Toll-Free Number: 1800 233 4526, 1800 102 2636
- IDBI Bank Website: www.idbi.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 200 1947, 1800 221 070