Bank of Maharashtra vs Karnataka Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
Bank of Maharashtra has Mahabank – Yuva Yojana for children in the 10-18 years age group. This is a savings cum investment account as a child can open a savings account and invest in recurring deposits and fixed deposits. Karnataka Bank offers a dedicated children’s account called KBL Kishore.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Bank of Maharashtra
Mahabank – Yuva Yojana
Bank of Maharashtra offers the Mahabank – Yuva Yojana as a comprehensive solution to take care of the savings needs and expenses of young children.
- Under this, children can open savings accounts and invest in recurring deposits and fixed deposits
- The savings account has no minimum balance requirements and can be opened with only Rs. 10
- Children do not get any chequebook until they are over 18 years, but by then the account becomes a standard savings account with minimum balance requirements and other terms and conditions that apply to the standard account
- The Mahabank – Yuva Yojana account comes with a free debit card but with specified spending limits
- Account holders can put in standing instructions to transfer money from their accounts to their recurring deposit. In addition, parents can put in standing instructions to put in money from their account to the child’s account
- Bank of Maharashtra also sanctions education loans to deserving students at the time to admission if they have held the account for over 6 months
The bank also allows parents and guardians to open a savings account jointly with a minor child.
- The minimum average balance requirements for the Mahabank – Savings Bank Scheme are calculated on a monthly basis. Service charges are applicable if the balance is less
- The documents needed to open the account (besides the application, of course) are an ID proof, an address proof, two passport-sized photographs and the PAN card or Form 60/61
- Interest is calculated on the daily balance on a quarterly basis
Children’s Savings Accounts from Karnataka Bank Limited
Karnataka Bank, one of the older banking institutions in the country, offers a dedicated children’s account called KBL Kishore.
The children’s account is available to kids over the age of 10 years and up to 18 years.
- The account comes without any minimum balance requirements
- The bank offers a free debit card with 24-hour cash withdrawal limit of Rs. 10,000 and POS limit of Rs. 5,000
- KBL Kishore allows parents or guardians to transfer up to Rs. 50,000 per month from their account to the child’s account
- The kids and their parents can keep a track of the account through the bank’s mobile app
- Bank of Maharashtra Website: www.bankofmaharashtra.in and https://www.mahaconnect.in/jsp/index.html (net banking)
- Headquarters: Pune, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Toll-Free Number: 1800 233 4526, 1800 102 2636
- Karnataka Bank Website: https://karnatakabank.com
- Headquarters: Mangaluru, Karnataka
- Call Centre Number: 1800 425 1444