Bank of Maharashtra vs North East Small Finance Bank
Bank of Maharashtra has Mahabank – Yuva Yojana for children in the 10-18 years age group. This is a savings cum investment account as a child can open a savings account and invest in recurring deposits and fixed deposits. North East Small Finance does not offer a dedicated savings bank account for minors. However, its standard and premium savings accounts may be available to minors, possibly jointly and to be operated by the parent or guardian.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Bank of Maharashtra
Mahabank – Yuva Yojana
Bank of Maharashtra offers the Mahabank – Yuva Yojana as a comprehensive solution to take care of the savings needs and expenses of young children.
- Under this, children can open savings accounts and invest in recurring deposits and fixed deposits
- The savings account has no minimum balance requirements and can be opened with only Rs. 10
- Children do not get any chequebook until they are over 18 years, but by then the account becomes a standard savings account with minimum balance requirements and other terms and conditions that apply to the standard account
- The Mahabank – Yuva Yojana account comes with a free debit card but with specified spending limits
- Account holders can put in standing instructions to transfer money from their accounts to their recurring deposit. In addition, parents can put in standing instructions to put in money from their account to the child’s account
- Bank of Maharashtra also sanctions education loans to deserving students at the time to admission if they have held the account for over 6 months
The bank also allows parents and guardians to open a savings account jointly with a minor child.
- The minimum average balance requirements for the Mahabank – Savings Bank Scheme are calculated on a monthly basis. Service charges are applicable if the balance is less
- The documents needed to open the account (besides the application, of course) are an ID proof, an address proof, two passport-sized photographs and the PAN card or Form 60/61
- Interest is calculated on the daily balance on a quarterly basis
Children’s Savings Accounts from North East Small Finance Bank Limited
North East Small Finance Bank does not offer a dedicated savings bank account for minors though its standard and premium savings accounts may be available to minors, possibly jointly and to be operated by the parent or guardian.
Regular Savings Account
This is the standard savings account of the bank.
- The account has a minimum balance requirement of Rs. 500 in rural areas, Rs. 1,000 in semi-urban and Rs. 2,000 in urban areas
- Accountholders get access to personalised debit cards
- The bank offers doorstep banking facilities
- The Regular Savings Account comes with free passbooks
- Accountholders can manage and access their account details through the SMS facility or through online banking
Premium Savings Account
This savings account is one step up from the regular savings account.
- The account has a minimum average quarterly balance requirement of Rs. 25,000
- Accountholders can get five demand drafts made in a month without any charge
- The bank also offers two free NEFT, RTGS or IMPS transactions per month
- Like the standard account, the Premium Savings Account also offers free passbooks, an SMS facility and online banking options
- Bank of Maharashtra Website: www.bankofmaharashtra.in and https://www.mahaconnect.in/jsp/index.html (net banking)
- Headquarters: Pune, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Toll Free Number: 1800 233 4526, 1800 102 2636
- North East Small Finance Bank Website: www.nesfb.com
- Headquarters: Guwahati, Assam
- Call Centre Number: 1800 121 1905