Barclays Bank vs Kotak Mahindra Bank: Children’s Savings Accounts
Barclays Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s savings account, even though it is likely that the standard savings accounts can be opened for children jointly with a parent or guardian. However, Kotak Mahindra Bank offers a dedicated account called Junior – The Savings Account for Kids.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Barclays Bank
Barclays Bank does not focus on the retail segment and as such does not offer any specific children’s savings or any other account. The only option for someone who wishes to open a children’s account may be through the savings account. The bank offers 2 types of savings accounts, the Barclays Savings Account and the Basic Savings Bank Deposit Account.
Barclays Savings Account
The account needs an average quarterly balance of Rs. 1 lakh.
- Customer get Classic Debit Card and a chequebook
- The customer can use the debit card for any number of transactions in all VISA ATMs of all banks
- The bank offers free demand drafts that are payable at its branches in the country
- Customer also have a free SMS facility and online banking facilities with their Barclays Savings Account
Children’s Savings Accounts from Kotak Mahindra Bank
Kotak Mahindra Bank offers a children-focussed account called Junior – The Savings Account for Kids. Here is a look at some features of the account.
Junior – The Savings Account for Kids
The account comes in two variants, the standalone account and a bundle pack that includes the Junior Savings Account and a Guardian Savings Account.
- The account offers one of the higher interest rates for children’s accounts at 5% (as of November 2018)
- Bundled plan accountholders get access to a Recurring Deposit (RD) or a Systematic Investment Plan (SIP). The RD starts from as little as Rs. 2,000 and tenures that start from 36 months, while in the case of SIP the guardian can choose the amount and tenure
- The standalone Junior Account comes in different variants such as Platina, Ace, Pro, Classic, Edge and Nova. The distinction between these is the minimum balance required in the account and the customer segment to which the account is offered. For instance, the Platina account is a continuation of a portfolio of plans that Kotak Mahindra Bank acquired from its purchase of ING Vysya, while the Classic account is targeted at semi-urban and rural areas, and so on
- There is no minimum balance requirement for bundled Nova accounts provided they have an RD or a SIP in place. Otherwise, an average monthly balance of Rs. 5,000 is needed for Junior accounts. For non-junior accounts, the average monthly balance required is Rs. 5,000 (Nova), Rs. 10,000 (Edge and Classic), Rs. 50,000 (Ace) and Rs. 1 lakh (Platina)
- The charges for non-maintenance of the average balance ranges from Rs. 150 to Rs. 600 per month depending on the balance and the type of account.
- The Junior Savings Account offers personalised debit cards with daily withdrawal limits of Rs. 5,000 for kids above 10 years of age
- The bank offers certain children-centric privileges such as Junior Foodie, Junior Day Out, Junior Shopper, Junior Learner and Junior Angel
- Barclays Bank Website: www.barclays.in
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: +91 22 6000 1550 (Corporate Banking), +91 22 6000 7888 (Debit Card Lost/Stolen/Damaged)
- Kotak Mahindra Bank Website: www.kotak.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1860-266-2666, 1860-266-0811 (for 811 Digital Bank Customers)