Central Bank of India vs Tamilnad Mercantile Bank
Central Bank of India has the Cent Balbhavishya deposit account for kids. This is a deposit account and the bank offers its standard savings account to children for regular transactions. In addition, Central Bank offers recurring and fixed deposits for children. Tamilnad Mercantile Bank provides a dedicated savings account for children called the Little Super Star Savings Account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from Central Bank of India
The bank has a children-only deposit account called Cent Balbhavishya and a standard savings account that can be opened jointly with an adult or in their own name by kids above 12 years of age. It also offers its standard recurring and fixed deposits for children through joint accounts.
The deposit account was conceived with the intention of cultivating saving habits among children.
- Any child up to the age of 12 years can open the account jointly with a parent or a guardian
- The minimum deposit needed to open the account is Rs. 50 for rural and semi-urban areas and Rs. 100 for urban areas and metros
- The bank requires at least one deposit in the account every month with total amount in account for each half-year being at least Rs. 500 (rural and semi-urban) or Rs. 1,000 (urban and metros)
- No withdrawals are permitted until the child reaches the age of 18 years, unless it is to make a fixed deposit
- Accordingly, cheque books are issued only when the child reaches 18 years
- Any excess amount in the account above Rs, 10,000 may be put into a fixed deposit for a period of 6 months to 10 years
- As of July 2018, the Central Bank of India will pay an additional interest of 0.5% on any fixed deposit for the child that is created from the funds in the Cent Balbhavishya account. The standard rates will apply from the time the child attains the age of majority
Home Saving Safe Accounts
This is the standard savings account of the bank.
- It can be opened by a minor jointly with an adult if she is below 12 years of age or by the minor herself if she is over 12 years and can read and write and operate the account
- The minimum amount needed to open the Home Saving Safe Account is Rs. 250 for rural branches, Rs. 500 for semi-urban branches and Rs. 1,000 for urban and metro branches
- The bank website mentions that a birth certificate from the Gram Panchayat, Notified Area Committee or Municipal Corporation will suffice as ID proof, though it is likely that with the spread of Aadhaar, an Aadhaar card or an Aadhaar enrolment number may be required
Children’s Savings Accounts from Tamilnad Mercantile Bank Limited
Tamilnad Mercantile Bank provides a dedicated savings account for children called the Little Super Star Savings Account.
Little Super Star Savings Account
Meant exclusively for kids in the 10-18 years age group, the account has been designed to habituate children to saving money.
- Accountholders can withdraw up to Rs. 5,000 per day through ATMs. Guardians are given the right to lower this amount up to Rs. 1,000 if she so deems fit. The POS limit is capped at Rs. 2,500
- Tamilnad Mercantile Bank offers up to 10 complimentary ATM withdrawals and charges Rs. 10 for each withdrawal thereafter
- The maximum amount that can be put in the account or taken out per month is limited to Rs. 1 lakh
- The account needs a minimum average balance of Rs. 250. The bank limits the number of facilities it provides if this minimum balance is not maintained
- The ATM-debit card is offered free with the account
- Accountholders get complimentary personalised chequebook of 10 leaves every year
- One of the unique features of this account is that the bank has allowed both internet banking and mobile banking though the limit has been capped at Rs. 2,500
- The minor has to change the Little Super Star Savings Account into any of the standard accounts offered by the bank after she attains majority
- Kids with the account are allowed to be a part of the bank’s Happy Family Banking Account scheme if their other family members also bank with Tamilnad Mercantile Bank
- Central Bank of India Website: www.centralbankofindia.co.in andwww.centralbank.net.in (net banking)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Toll Free Number (24 hours): 1800 22 1911
- Tamilnad Mercantile Bank Website: www.tmb.in
- Headquarters: Tuticorin, Tamil Nadu
- Call Centre Number: 1800 425 0426