DCB Bank vs Karur Vysya Bank
DCB Bank does not offer a dedicated children’s account but instead offers its Classic savings account for children through parents or guardians. Karur Vysya Bank meanwhile offers two dedicated accounts for children called the Jumbo Kids Savings Account and the Student Savings Account.
Children’s Savings Accounts from DCB Bank
DCB Bank, known previously as Development Credit Bank, does not offer a dedicated children’s account though its Classic account may be available for children through their parents or guardian.
Classic Savings Bank Account
This is the standard savings bank account from the bank.
- Accountholders need to maintain a minimum balance of Rs. 5,000 for Tier I branches and Rs. 2,500 for Tier 2 branches. This amount may be less for accounts opened on behalf of minors. Details of the same are not provided clearly on the bank website and as with such instances it may be a good idea to call and ask customer care at the numbers below
- The Classic Savings Bank Account offers payable at par cheque book
- Accountholders also get unlimited free access to all the bank’s ATMs and Visa ATMs in India, provided the account has an average monthly balance of Rs.10,000
- One of the key features seems to be free unlimited use of online transfers through RTGS and NEFT
- Account holders also get complimentary internet, phone and mobile banking facilities, through the access is likely to be limited for the child directly unless they have reached a certain age, as happens with most banks
Children’s Savings Accounts from Karur Vysya Bank
Karur Vysya Bank offers two dedicated accounts for children called the Jumbo Kids Savings Account and the Student Savings Account.
Jumbo Kids Savings Account
Unlike most other banks that offer children’s accounts for kids up to the age of 18 years or more, Karur Vysya offers this account for children below the age of 12 years. This by itself is something that makes this account special. Let us look at features too.
- The account is available for children up to the age of 12 years (we are repeating what we have written above but we like what the bank has done and so there)
- There is no minimum balance requirement
- The account is in the name of the child though the authorised signatory is the guardian
- All cash withdrawals are to be done through the ATM and the bank offers a Visa ATM card for that purpose
- One can send or use (remittance is the word used on the bank website) up to Rs. 50,000 per day at the branch
- Children who open a Jumbo Kids Savings Account get a Jumbo (elephant) Doll
- The account does not come with a chequebook and neither does it have online or mobile banking facilities
Student Savings Account
The second account offered by the bank for children. It is meant for kids who have go to school or college and offers facilities that are meant to help children with school fees and other education-related payments.
- The account can be opened by kids below 12 years of age through a guardian, while they can open and operate one on their own if they have reached the age of 12 years
- The maximum age limit up to which one can have the account is 29 years
- The ATM debit card can be used for cash withdrawals for free at Karur Vysya ATMs and up to 5 times for free at other ATMs of banks that belong to the National Financial Switch. There is an annual maintenance charge of Rs. 75 on the card
- The chequebook is only offered to students after they have crossed 18 years of age
- There is no limit on cash remittance at the base branch though it is capped at Rs. 10,000 at non-base branches for the Student Savings Account
- An important thing to note here is that the total number of debit transactions on the account and any other linked accounts for the same person cannot be more than 90 for every six months
- DCB Bank Website: www.dcbbank.com
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Call Centre Number: 1800 209 5363, 1800 123 5363
- Karur Vysya Bank Website: www.kvb.co.in and www.kvbin.com (net banking)
- Headquarters: Karur, Tamil Nadu
- Call Centre Number: 1860 200 1916